OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team suffered a 90-61 loss to Spring Arbor University today inside The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Spring Arbor 90, Olivet 61
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 2-6 overall, Spring Arbor 9-5 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets led by seven points, 12-5, in the first three minutes of the game behind four three-pointers – two by junior Jordan Terry and one each by seniors Chris Chrzan and Eric Ewing.
- The Cougars responded with five straight points before a three-pointer by senior Aaron Washington extended Olivet's lead back to five points, 15-10.
- Spring Arbor scored a basket before the Comets' sixth three-pointer of the opening seven minutes and 16 seconds put them back up by six points, 18-12.
- The Cougars answered with a 10-4 run to tie the game at 22-22.
- Olivet failed to put any points on the scoreboard over the next five minutes of game time, while Spring Arbor scored 12 straight to take a 12-point lead, 34-22, at the 6:22 mark.
- The Comets snapped the scoreless skid with a basket by Chrzan at the 4:14 mark.
- The Cougars then netted seven of the next nine points to take their largest lead of the game, 41-26, with 2:26 left until halftime.
- Olivet scored the final five points – a three-pointer by Terry and a layup by senior Zach Walker – to trail by only 10 points, 41-31, at the intermission.
- In the second half, the Comets battled back and trailed by only seven points, 54-47, at the 12:37 mark.
- After the Cougars led by a 62-52 score, they scored 26 unanswered points over the next eight minutes to gain an 88-52 advantage.
- Olivet scored nine of the final 11 points in the game. All nine points were scored by junior Jordan Ellis on three baskets from behind the arc.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet made 23 baskets, including 14 from three-point land, and one free throw for its 61 points.
- Ewing led the Comets in scoring (17) and rebounding (five).
- Wasington was next with 15 points, all on five three-pointers.
FOR THE COUGARS
- Spring Arbor shot 56.9 percent (33-of-58) from the floor, including 45.8 percent (11-of-24) from behind the arc, and 76.5 percent (13-of-17) from the charity stripe.
- Caleb Hogans led all players with 26 points.
- Zach Medendorp chipped-in 20 points and grabbed a game-high 20 points.
- Tommy Hamilton came off the bench to score 16 points.
- Olivet returns to the court next Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 19-20, at Hope College for the Russ DeVette/Holland Sentinel Classic. On Monday, the Comets play Johnson & Wales (R.I.) University and on Tuesday, they face Spalding (Ky.) University. Both games have a 6 p.m. tip inside the DeVos Fieldhouse in Holland.