SPRING ARBOR, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team suffered a 76-50 loss to Spring Arbor University in a non-conference contest tonight on Bockwitz Court and inside the SAU Fieldhouse in Spring Arbor.
Final Score: Spring Arbor 76, Olivet 50
Location: SAU Fieldhouse; Spring Arbor, Mich.
Records: Olivet 2-4 overall, Spring Arbor 13-2 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cougars led 9-2 at the 17:17 mark of the opening half. The Comets scored five straight points to cut their deficit down to two points, 9-7. Spring Arbor answered with a 7-2 run to go back ahead by seven, 16-9. Olivet responded with another 5-0 run to make the score 16-14. That would be the closest the Comets would get, as the Cougars built their lead to as many as 11 points, 37-26, in the final minute of the opening half. Olivet made the final basket of the first half for a 37-28 score at the break.
- In the second half, the Comets closed the gap to five points on three occasions. The last time was 50-45 after senior Blake Siersema made a layup at the 10:52 mark. Olivet was not able to get any closer for the rest of the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Junior Tracy Edmond led all players with 21 points.
- Seniors Sirafino Davis and Eldridge Mason, and junior John McAdoo were next with five points apiece.
- Davis and senior Griffin Lewis each grabbed five rebounds.
FOR THE COUGARS
- Jeff Beckman, Zach Medendorp and Drew Zuidema scored 12 points apiece.
- Beckman also pulled down 12 rebounds to complete a double-double.
- The Comets travel to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, for two games at the Cruzin Classic. Olivet faces St. Mary's (Md.) College Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m., and Simpson (Iowa) College Sunday night at 6 p.m.