HOLLAND, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team led by 22 points in the second half and survived a furious comeback by University of Mount Union (Ohio) to beat the Purple Raiders, 103-97, at the Hope College/Russ DeVette Classic. For his efforts, junior Tracy Edmond was named to the All-Tournament team.
Final Score: Olivet 103, Mount Union 97
Location: DeVos Fieldhouse; Holland, Mich.
Records: Olivet 5-6 overall, Mount Union 7-3 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first six minutes and 28 seconds of the game had neither team leading by more than four points. Following a 13-13 deadlock, the Comets went on a 9-0 run to go up 22-13 at the 10:50 mark. Olivet pushed its lead to as many as 21 points, 44-23, with 2:05 left before halftime. The Purple Raiders put six of the final eight points on the scoreboard to make the score 46-29 at the intermission.
- In the second half, Mount Union closed the gap to seven points, 67-60, at the 10:45 mark. The Comets responded with a 15-0 run over the next four minutes to seize control of the game at 82-60. Olivet's lead stayed in double figures until under a minute left in the game when the Purple Raiders made a late push to cut their deficit down to four points.
FOR THE COMETS
- Edmond led all players with 39 points on 9-of-11 shooting from the floor and 20-of-25 shooting from the charity stripe. Both totals from the free throw line broke the single-game school record.
- Senior Jalen Adams scored 29 points
- Junior Eldridge Mason matched his season-high with 21 points, including 16 in the second half.
- Adams and Mason each grabbed a game-high nine rebounds, as Olivet out-rebounded Mount Union, 43-33.
- Junior John McAdoo added 11 points.
FOR THE PURPLE RAIDERS
- D'Vontay Friga provided a spark off the bench with a team-leading 30 points, including six triples.
- JJ Kukura contributed 28 points and team-leading seven rebounds.
- Miles Griffin chipped-in with 12 points, and Andrew Francesconi provided 11 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The previous record for free throws made was 13 on two occasions, with the last time being by Eric Ewing on Jan. 28, 2017, against Adrian College. The former record for free throws attempted was 20 by Lee Gardner on Nov. 14, 2015, at Trinity Christian (Ill.) College.
- Olivet also set the team record for free throws made and attempted by going 36-of-48 at the line. The records were 35 and 41 on Nov. 27, 2010 vs. Case Western Reserve (Ohio) University.
- Today's game was the sixth all-time meeting between Mount Union and Olivet in a men's basketball game. The Comets lost the first five games series.
- The Comets now turn their attention to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play. Olivet hosts Albion College next Wednesday, Jan. 3, for its first conference game. Tip-off at The Cutler Event Center is set for 7:30 p.m.