OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team defeated Trine (Ind.) University, 78-71, in the semifinals of the 2018 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Tournament, hosted by the Comets and played inside The Cutler Event Center in Olivet. With the win, Olivet advances to the championship game tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m. against Hope College, who beat Adrian College, 81-65, in the other semifinal.
Final Score: Olivet 78, Trine 71
Location: Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 16-10 overall, Trine 12-14 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first half, the Thunder took a 14-point lead twice. After the last time at 29-15, the Comets went on a 16-4 run to trim their deficit down to two points. Myles Copeland made a basket right before halftime to extend Trine's lead to four points, 37-33, at halftime.
- The Thunder led by six points, 41-35, early in the second half. Olivet answered with a 7-0 run to take its first lead in the game, 42-41. Trine grabbed the lead back before going ahead by four points on three occasions. Following the last one at 51-47, the Comets scored five straight points to take the lead back 52-51.
- A third three-pointer by Pete Smith put the Thunder back on top, 54-52. Trine stretched its lead back to four points two more times, 56-52 and 59-55. A 6-1 run gave the lead back to the Comets, 61-60, at the 9:41 mark. The teams traded baskets for three lead changes. The final one put Olivet ahead, 65-64, with 6:10 remaining in the game. The Comets did not relinquish their lead for the rest of the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Senior Jalen Adams, the 2018 MIAA Most Valuable Player, led all players with 30 points and 18 rebounds.
- Junior Tracy Edmond finished with 20 points and six assists.
- Junior Eldridge Mason contributed 12 points.
FOR THE THUNDER
- Copeland tallied 28 points.
- Maurice Hunter had 16 points and 11 rebounds.
- Smith chipped-in 14 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With his 30 points, Adams broke the single-season scoring record. The previous record was 676 points, and Adams now has 690 points.