OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team played even with Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Albion College, 1-1, in double overtime this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Albion 1, Olivet 1 (2OT)
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Albion 4-3-2 overall, 1-3-1 MIAA; Olivet 1-6-3 overall, 0-2-3 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first half, the best scoring chance for either team was by Albion's Ian Yetzke. His shot in the final minute of the half was punched over the cross bar by Olivet freshman keeper Justin Lavin.
- The Britons had several shots saved by Lavin early in the second half.
- The Comets got on the scoreboard first with 4:51 left in regulation. Sophomore Courtney Skerritt sent the ball from the midfield into the box. Junior David Magallon caught up to the ball and his low shot found the back of the net at the near post.
- Albion scored the equalizer 86 seconds later.
- In the first overtime period, a shot from an Albion player clanged off the cross bar, while freshman Joshua Rosendale had his shot sail high of the goal.
- Neither team recorded a shot-on-goal in the second overtime period.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet tallied 11 shots in the game.
- Rosendale led the way with five, while senior Evan Shirkey had two.
- Lavin played all 110 minutes in goal and collected five saves.
FOR THE BRITONS
- Will Colburn scored the Albion goal.
- Colburn, Aaron Smith and Joel Zaretti finished with three shots apiece.
- Maxmillian Loria was in net for the entire game and had two saves.
OVERTIME TIMES THREE
- Olivet has now played to three double overtime ties this season. The last time this occurrence happened in school history was 2009 when the Comets tied Trine (1-1), Adrian (0-0) and Hope (0-0).
- Olivet travels to play Calvin College Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. The game is part of a soccer doubleheader in Grand Rapids, as the Comet women also play the Knights preceding the men's game at 4:30 p.m.