GREENVILLE, Ill. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team was defeated in four sets by Greenville (Ill.) College tonight at H.J. Long Gymnasium in Greenville, Illinois.
Final Score: Greenville def. Olivet 25-17, 25-16, 25-27, 25-13
Location: H.L. Long Gymnasium; Greenville, Ill.
Records: Greenville 8-15 overall, 3-14 MCVL; Olivet 2-11 overall, 0-9 MCVL
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Besides a 1-1 tie, the Panthers led for the entire first set.
- Early in the second set, the Comet had a pair of two-point cushions, 4-2 and 5-3. Greenville went on a 4-0 run to gain its own two-point lead. The Panthers did not relinquish the lead for the rest of the set.
- Greenville had a 6-1 advantage in the third set. Olivet battled back to even the score at 8-8. The Panthers surged ahead by six points, 19-13. The Comets did not give up and fought off two match points to take a 25-24 lead. After Greenville leveled the score at 25-25, freshman Trent Robinson recorded back-to-back kills to hand the set to Olivet.
- The Comets were unable to carry the momentum into the fourth set, as the Panthers led it from start-to-finish.
FOR THE COMETS
- For the match, Olivet had 41 kills and hit at a .217 clip.
- Robinson led the way with 14 kills and four blocks.
- Freshmen Andrew McCormick and Brock Pringle each had eight kills.
- Freshman Mathew Caamal dished out 22 set assists, while freshman Aaron Giorgi had 10 assists.
- Pringle and junior Talen Schallhorn recorded seven digs apiece.
FOR THE PANTHERS
- Greenville finished with 55 kills, including a match-high 26 for Manuel Benitez.
- Benitez had three attack errors on 39 attempts for a .590 hitting percentage.
- Tanner Smith led all players with 43 set assists and 11 digs.
- Olivet is back in action tomorrow afternoon against Fontbonne (Mo.) University at 3 p.m. ET.