OLIVET, Mich. – Freshmen Grace Clark and Fayth Talbert both scored career-highs to lift the Olivet College women's basketball team past non-conference foe Calumet College of St. Joseph (Ind.), 80-74, in an afternoon matinee at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 80, Calumet-St. Joseph 74
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Calumet-St. Joseph 3-11 overall, Olivet 5-4 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first quarter, the Comets led 8-2 before the Crimson Wave went on an 11-2 run to take a 13-10 lead. Calumet maintained its three-point cushion at 15-12. Olivet responded with a 14-4 run for a 26-19 advantage. The Crimson Wave used an old-fashioned three-point play to trail by four points, 26-22, at the end of the opening quarter.
- In the second quarter, Calumet made a three-pointer 39 seconds into the quarter to cut its deficit to a single point, 26-25. Olivet went back on top by six points, 34-28, before five quick points for the Crimson Wave closed the gap to one point, 34-33. The Comets then went on a 13-3 run over the next three minutes and 40 seconds to push their lead to 11 points at 47-36. The teams traded baskets for the rest of the quarter to make the score 49-40 at halftime.
- In the third quarter, Olivet extended its lead to as many as 17 points, 61-44, at the 5:48 mark. Calumet scored 12 of the final 16 points of the quarter to slash its deficit down to single digits, 65-56.
- In the fourth quarter, the Crimson Wave made the first basket to make the score 65-59. The Comets answered with a 12-2 scoring spurt to push their lead to 16 points, 77-61, at the 5:28 mark. Calumet fought back and trailed by only six points, 78-72, with just 55.2 seconds left. Freshman Bridget Garter drained two free throws with 36.7 ticks remaining to seal the win.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet made 29-of-75 baskets, including 9-of-36 three-pointers, and 13-of-19 free throws.
- Clark drained 6-of-12 field goals, with four triples, and one free throw for 17 points.
- Talbert shot 7-of-11 from the floor and 2-of-6 from the charity stripe for 16 points. She just missed a double-double with nine rebounds.
- Senior Kadesha Taylor also scored in double figures with 12 points to go along with four steals and three assists.
FOR THE CRIMSON WAVE
- Geena Lociecero was one of four players to reach double figures in the scoring column. She tallied 14 points.
- Krista Brill came off the bench to score 11 points.
- Hannah Carr and Tenayita Sanford each poured in 10 points.
- Carr and Locicero grabbed nine rebounds apiece.
- Katie Martin dished out 12 assists but committed nine turnovers.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Clark's previous scoring high was 14 points against SUNY-Cobleskill, and Talbert's nine points against Hunter (N.Y.) College.
- Today's game was the first in school history between the Comets and the Crimson Wave.
- Olivet is off for the Christmas holiday and returns to the court next Friday, Dec. 29, for another home game against Aquinas College, starting at 3 p.m.