OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team was upended by Spring Arbor University, 88-61, in a non-conference contest this evening at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Spring Arbor 88, Olivet 61
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Spring Arbor 6-9 overall, Olivet 5-6 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cougars raced out to a 21-6 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- Spring Arbor made two free throws 19 seconds into the second quarter to gain their largest lead of the game, 23-6. The Comets fought back with an 18-6 run, capped by a three-pointer from Leijla Masinovich, to trim their deficit down to five points, 29-24, at the 3:36 mark. The Cougars scored eight of the final 11 points of the quarter for a 37-27 halftime advantage.
- In the third quarter, Olivet made it a six-point game, 40-34, when junior Shawnee Dame made a free throw to complete a three-point play. Spring Arbor drained back-to-back three-pointers to push their lead to double figures. The Cougars led by as many as 22 points before a three-pointer and two free throws by junior Shannon Dingman created a 66-49 score at the end of third period.
- The 27-point margin of victory matched Spring Arbor's largest lead in the final quarter.
FOR THE COMETS
- Dame finished the game with a season-high 18 points on 6-of-10 shooting from both the floor and free throw line.
- Junior Taylor Jungel and senior Kadesha Taylor contributed 10 points apiece.
- Jungel grabbed eight rebounds and blocked two shots.
FOR THE COUGARS
- Autumn Goggin led all players with 21 points, including 16-of-20 shooting from the charity stripe.
- Gracie Cabana tallied 17 points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Anne Marie Wright was a spark off the bench with 15 points.
- Ryann Laier posted a double-double with 13 points and game-high 10 rebounds.
- Rachel Nelson finished with 11 points and eight rebounds.
- Olivet resumes Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play next Wednesday, Jan. 3, against Saint Mary's (Ind.) College at 7:30 p.m. Please note the game will be played in the Student Activities Center on the campus of Indiana University-South Bend.