KALAMAZOO, Mich. – Senior Isabelle Leon scored with 1:16 left to help the Olivet College women's soccer team rally past Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Kalamazoo College, 3-2, this evening at Mackenzie Field in Kalamazoo.
Final Score: Olivet 3, Kalamazoo 2
Location: Mackenzie Field; Kalamazoo, Mich.
Records: Kalamazoo 6-4 overall, 5-3 MIAA; Olivet 6-4-0 overall, 4-3-0 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With 28 seconds showing on the scoreboard clock, the Hornets scored the only goal of the first half.
- Earlier in the half, the Comets had a couple chances to score a goal. The best opportunity when Leon had her shot from the top of the 6-yard box stopped by the keeper.
- The Hornets stretched their lead to 2-0 on a penalty kick goal by Julie Zabik in the 63rd minute.
- Olivet dented the scoreboard for the first in the 73rd minute. Sophomore Abby Radcliffe sent a pass to the feet of junior Emma Essen who tapped the ball past the goalkeeper and into the middle of the net.
- Radcliffe scored the equalizer in the 79th minute. Leon dribbled the ball into the box. The keeper attempted to stop the ball but Radcliffe was able to get a foot on the ball and send a shot just over the goal line before the defense could stop it.
- Leon's game-winning goal was on a shot from around seven yards out.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the game with 11 shots, placing seven on-frame.
- In addition to her goal, Leon recorded a team-best four shots.
- Essen took two shots.
- Freshman Brooklyn Holley earned the win in goal. She faced 15 shots and collected three saves.
WATCH LEON'S GAME-WINNING GOAL
FOR THE HORNETS
- Libby Munoz tallied seven shots.
- Sarah George and Madison Moote each had two shots.
- Hannah Wolfe suffered the loss in goal. She registered four saves.
- Olivet is on the road Saturday afternoon to play Calvin College at 4:30 p.m. The game is a part of a soccer doubleheader in Grand Rapids, as the Comet men play the Knights following the women's game at 7:30 p.m.