GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – Senior Isabelle Leon scored twice to help the Olivet College women's soccer end the first half of its Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) schedule with a 2-1 victory over Calvin College today at Zuidema Field in Grand Rapids.
Final Score: Olivet 2, Calvin 1
Location: Zuidema Field; Grand Rapids, Mich.
Records: Calvin 9-3 overall, 6-2 MIAA; Olivet 7-4 overall, 5-3 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets took a 1-0 lead just five minutes and nine seconds into the game when Leon scored a breakaway goal. Junior Emma Essen was credited with an assist on the goal.
- The score remained 1-0 at halftime.
- Four minutes into the second half, the Knights evened the score at 1-1 on a goal by Grace Vissor.
- Olivet took the lead back in the 79th minute on another breakaway goal by Leon.
FOR THE COMETS
- Leon finished the game with three of the 10 Olivet shots.
- Freshman Miranda Gale and sophomore Abby Radcliffe each had two shots.
- Freshman Brooklyn Holley earned the win in goal, making seven shots.
FOR THE KNIGHTS
- Abby Koops recorded six of the 16 Calvin shots.
- Amy Kliewer made two saves, while playing all 90 minutes in goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- After the first half of MIAA play, the Comets are tied with Kalamazoo College for fourth-place in the standings with a 5-3 record and 15 points, just one point behind third-place Albion and three behind Calvin.
- Leon has now scored 14 game-winning goals in her career, including five of six wins this season.
- Leon needs just two goals to move into third all-time at Olivet. She has scored 45 goals in 69 career games. With 108 points, she is six points shy of moving into third all-time.
- Olivet starts the second half of conference play next Wednesday, Oct. 4, when it welcomes the Saint Mary's (Ind.) College Belles to the Cutler Athletic Complex for a 4 p.m. game.