ALMA, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team defeated Alma College in four sets tonight in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) match inside the Art Smith Arena in Alma.
Final Score: Olivet def. Alma 25-18, 15-25, 25-22, 25-23
Location: Art Smith Arena; Alma, Mich.
Records: Olivet 4-12 overall, 2-5 MIAA; Alma 5-9 overall, 2-5 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, the Scots held a 4-2 lead and they maintained the advantage until the Comets went ahead 7-6. Olivet stretched its lead to eight points, 17-9. Alma trimmed its deficit in half, 19-15 and 21-17. The Comets used four kills by sophomore Morgan Champion to end the set on a 4-1 run.
- In the second set, Olivet jumped out to a 3-0 lead. The Scots scored three straight to even the score. The teams traded points until Alma went on a 4-0 run to go up 8-5. The Scots never relinquished their lead.
- In the third set, the Comets led by as many as seven points, 17-10. Alma chipped away at its deficit and eventually took a 20-19 lead. The Scots held two more one-point leads, 21-20 and 22-21. An Alma service error leveled the score at 22-22. Olivet scored the final three point, a double block by senior Allison Turner and sophomore Brittney Prince was sandwiched around two service aces for freshman Laken Groll.
- The fourth set was similar to the third. The Comets scored the first point and pushed its lead to three points on several occasions, with the last time being 15-12. The Scots answered with an 8-2 run for their own three-point cushion, 20-17, and forcing an Olivet timeout. The Comets responded with three consecutive points for a 20-20 deadlock. After Alma went ahead, 21-20, Olivet scored the next points to take the lead back, 22-21. The teams exchanged points, resulting in a 23-23 tie. A kill by Prince made the score 24-23 and a Scot attack error gave the set and match to the Comets.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet slammed down 50 total kills and posted a .133 attack percentage compared to 46 and .122 for the Scots.
- Prince led all players with 17 kills to along with five blocks (two solo and three assisted).
- Senior Courtney Cronkright and Champion finished with 13 and 10 kills, respectively.
- Sophomore Madelyn Notenbaum recorded 36 set assists.
- Five Comets reached double digits in digs, led by sophomore Gabrielle Mundt's match-high 26. The others were Champion and Notenbaum with 18 each, Cronkright with 15 and freshman Mia Parker with 13.
FOR THE SCOTS
- Georgia Miller posted a team-best 13 kills and 24 digs.
- Haley Novak registered 17 set assists.
- Olivet makes the trip Friday to Chicago to participate in the Illinois Tech Scarlet Hawk Invitational. On Friday, the Comets face North Park (Ill.) University at 4 p.m. ET, followed by a match against University of Cincinnati-Clermont (Ohio). On Saturday, Olivet plays Anderson (Ind.) University at 10 a.m. ET, followed by a match against Illinois Tech.