UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – Junior Trevor Manuel had a near triple-double (22 points, 10 rebounds and 7 blocks) to help the Olivet College men's basketball team upset NCAA Division II foe Saginaw Valley State University, 69-63, today inside O'Neill Arena in University Center.
Final Score: Olivet 69, Saginaw Valley 63
Location: O'Neill Arena; University Center, Mich.
Records: Saginaw Valley 3-8 overall, Olivet 4-7 overall
- Olivet took a pair of nine-point leads, 13-4 and 15-6, early in the first half. The Cardinals scored eight straight points to trim their deficit to one point. The Comets answered with a 6-0 run to push their lead back to seven points, 21-14, at the under 10 media timeout.
- SVSU closed the gap to two points on two occasions. After the final time at 25-23, Olivet used a 9-0 run to take its largest advantage of the game, 34-23. The Comets held a 36-26 lead at halftime.
- In the second half, Olivet led by 11 points, 41-30, at the 15:29 mark. Over the next 70 seconds, James Toohey drained back-to-back-to-back baskets from behind the three-point arc to cut the Cardinals' deficit down to two points. A basket from the right elbow by Toohey leveled the score at 41-41.
- The teams traded baskets to create another tied score at 45-45 with 10:08 remaining in the game. Off an inbounds pass by senior John McAdoo, senior Dee Roberts made a three-pointer to put the Comets ahead. The Comets maintained their lead until a Cardinal triple put them ahead for the first time in the game, 55-54.
- Olivet responded with four straight points to surge back ahead, 58-55. SVSU came back with an 8-4 run to take the lead back, 63-62. The Comets took the lead back after senior Colin Jones made two free throws with 1:25 left. Jones made three of four free throws and Manuel drained two free throws in the final 28.8 seconds to seal Olivet's win.
- For the game, Olivet shot 42.9 percent (24-of-56) from the floor compared to 35.3 percent (24-of-68) for SVSU. The Comets made one less three-pointer but made seven more free throws, 16-9.
- Manuel made eight baskets, including a three-pointer, and six free throws for his 22 points. All 10 of his rebounds were on the defensive glass.
- Senior Tracy Edmond finished with 14 points.
- Jones and Roberts each scored 12 points.
- Toohey led all scorers with 27 points.
- Myles Belyeu added 12 points and team-high nine rebounds.
- Fred John Jr. contributed 10 points.
- Manuel's seven blocks broke Olivet's single-game record. The previous record was six by Brandon McClary vs. Alma College on Feb. 13, 2008.
- With the win, the Comets have evened the all-time series against SVSU. Olivet won the first four meetings before the Cardinals won the next three, including the last time on Nov. 23, 2009.
- The Comets now begin defense of their Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association championship. Olivet travels to play Albion College next Thursday, Jan. 3, at 7:30 p.m.