KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team opened Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play with a 1-1 double overtime draw against Kalamazoo College tonight under the lights at Mackenzie Field in Kalamazoo.
Final Score: Kalamazoo 1, Olivet 1
Location: Mackenzie Field; Kalamazoo, Mich.
Records: Kalamazoo 0-1-3 overall, 0-0-1 MIAA; Olivet 0-5-1 overall, 0-0-1 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Olivet took a 1-0 lead when sophomore Eli Westers found the back of the net in the 85th minute. Using his left foot, Westers ripped a shot from the left side and top of the box to the upper 90, off the post and into the goal.
- The Hornets tied the game with 88 seconds remaining in the second half.
FOR THE COMETS
- The Comets finished with 14 total shots, placing nine on-goal.
- Senior Michael Brait topped the team with six shots, including four on-frame. He had Olivet's other best scoring chance. In the 79th minute, Brait took a shot from the left side of the 18-yard box, which the keeper saved with a full-extension dive.
- Junior Nathan Weeks played all 110 minutes in goal and collected seven saves.
FOR THE HORNETS
- Cal Kirchen scored Kalamazoo's goal. He also had seven of the Hornets' 20 shots.
- Griffin Hamel made eight saves in goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Tonight's tie is only the second draw in 81 all-time games between the Hornets and Comets. The only other tie was 3-3 on Nov. 3, 1978.
- Olivet hosts Albion College Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. The game is a part of a Comet soccer doubleheader, as the Olivet women face Hope College preceding the men's game at noon.