OLIVET, Mich. – Sophomore Dominik Burmeister's penalty kick goal in the 13th minute was the difference in the game, as the Olivet College men's soccer team shutout Adrian College, 1-0, in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) match this afternoon at the Olivet Community Schools Stadium in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 1, Adrian 0
Location: Olivet Community Schools Stadium; Olivet, Michigan
Records: Adrian 8-4-1 overall, 0-1-1 MIAA; Olivet 4-7-1 overall, 1-1-0 MIAA
- The Bulldogs placed two shots-on-goal in the first eight minutes of the game but each shot was stopped by Olivet sophomore keeper Andrew Aragon.
- Junior Joshua Rosendale was fouled inside the box at the 12:54 mark. Burmeister stepped to the PK spot, and sent a high shot into the center of the net.
- Adrian kept the offensive pressure in the first half, out-shooting the Comets, 9-3. Six of the shots were on-frame.
- The Bulldogs continued to look for the equalizer in the second half. Several shots in the final five minutes sailed just wide of the goal.
- Olivet's best chance to score an insurance goal in the 54th minute. Rosendale took a shot which was saved by the fingertips of the goalie and pushed aside for a corner kick.
- Olivet tallied eight shots, including three for Rosendale.
- Five other players each had one shot.
- Aragon made eight saves to earn the shutout win in goal.
- Adrian had 17 shots and had an 11-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- Austin Andres and Garrett Miller recorded four shots apiece.
- Spencer Brown was the losing keeper. He played all 90 minutes and collected four saves.
- Adrian was ranked No. 10 in the most recent United Soccer Coaches Central Region poll.
- The last time Olivet shutout a MIAA opponent was Oct. 24, 2015, against Trine (Ind.) University.
- The Comets beat the Bulldogs for the first time Oct. 29, 2014.
- The Comets play host to the Hope College Flying Dutch next Wednesday, Oct. 16. First touch is at 3 p.m.