SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team defeated Lawrence Technological Institute in four sets tonight at the Don Ridler Field House in Southfield. The Comets won the first two sets 25-21 and 25-17 before the Blue Devils won the third set 25-22. Olivet claimed the match with a 25-21 win in the fourth set to beat the Blue Devils for the first time this season.
Final Score: Olivet defeated Lawrence Tech 25-21, 25-17, 22-25, 25-21
Location: Don Ridler Field House; Southfield, Mich.
Records: Olivet 3-13 overall, Lawrence Tech 15-14 overall
- In the opening set, the Comets were down 7-6 before going on a 6-2 run to gain a 12-9 lead. The Blue Devils responded with a 6-2 run to take the lead back 15-14. From there, the teams traded points for several lead changes and tied scores. Up only one point, 20-19, Olivet scored three straight points on LTU errors to extend its lead to 23-19. The Comets maintained the lead and won the set 25-21.
- In the second set, Olivet used an 8-3 run to spin an 11-10 lead into a 19-13 advantage. The Blue Devils scored the next three points to cut the gap in half, 19-16. After trading points to make the score 20-17, the Comets ended the set on a 5-0 run to win it, 25-17.
- In the third set, Olivet went up 11-8. LTU fought back with a 3-0 run to tie the score. Following another tie at 13-13, the Comets put two points on the scoreboard. Olivet held the advantage until the Blue Devils took a 19-18 lead. After five more tied scores, LTU closed the set on a 3-0 run for a 25-22 win.
- Twice, the Comets had an eight-point cushion in the fourth set. The last time was 14-6 before the Blue Devils went on a 4-0 spurt to cut their deficit down to four points, 14-10. Later in the set, LTU made it a three-point game 23-20 and 24-21.
- Olivet slammed down 45 kills and recorded a .168 attack percentage compared to 34 kills and .149 attack percentage for Lawrence Tech.
- Juniors Devian Prince and Brock Pringle each had 12 kills.
- Junior Trent Robinson was next with 10 kills and posted a team-high .450 attack percentage.
- At the net, sophomore Dan Hayes had seven blocks (three solo and four assisted).
- Junior Aaron Giorgi led all players with 33 set assists.
- Sophomore libero Tanner Gardenour topped the defense with 15 digs, followed by Pringle with 14.
- Joshua Eckert recorded a match-high 13 kills.
- Zachary Narkiewicz had 10 kills.
- Lawrence Patton collected 28 set assists.
- Javier Contreras tallied 14 digs.
- Olivet hosts Carthage (Wis.) College Friday night at the Cutler Event Center, starting at 7 p.m.