KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team snapped a six-game losing streak with a 50-44 win over Kalamazoo College in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) contest this afternoon at the Anderson Athletic Center in Kalamazoo.
Final Score: Olivet 50, Kalamazoo 44
Location: Anderson Athletic Center; Kalamazoo, Mich.
Records: Kalamazoo 0-15 overall, 0-7 MIAA; Olivet 6-10 overall, 2-5 MIAA
- In the first quarter, neither team led by more than four points until Olivet grabbed a six-point advantage, 10-4, at the 4:15 mark. The Comets also had a six-point cushion, 14-8, at the end of the period.
- Olivet's lead at halftime, 24-15, was its largest lead of the game.
- In the third quarter, the Hornets opened with a 16-5 run to take its first lead, 31-29, at the 5:13 mark. The Comets answered with a 9-1 run to re-gain a six-point lead, 38-32. Kalamazoo made the last basket of the quarter to trail by four points, 38-34, to start the fourth quarter.
- The Hornets' opened the fourth period by scoring eight straight points for a 42-38 lead. The teams traded baskets for another four-point cushion for Kalamazoo, 44-40, with 4:42 remaining in the contest. Olivet ended the game on a 10-0 run to win the game.
- Junior Kim Buie came off the bench to post season-highs in points (11), rebounds (nine) and blocks (five).
- Senior Shawnee Dame finished with nine points.
- Junior Tammy Lee also grabbed nine rebounds.
- Amanda Moss and Kaytyln Tidey each scored 14 points.
- Georgie Andrews pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds.
- The Comets host Adrian College next Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 5 p.m. The game is a part of a MIAA doubleheader, as the Olivet men will also play the Bulldogs after the women's game.