NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Olivet College wrestling team recorded a 3-1 mark today at the 2016 Gator "Boots" Duals held at the McGavock High School in Nashville, Tennessee. After falling to Baldwin Wallace (Ohio) University, 34-12, in their first match, the Comets won three straight matches – 21-18 over Ferrum (Va.) College, 31-17 over Simpson (Iowa) College and 33-7 over University of Mount Union (Ohio).
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. BALDWIN WALLACE
- After the Comets fell behind 9-0, the Comets evened the score at 9-9 when senior Curtis Blackwell pinned his opponent right before the first period ended in the 141-pound bout, and senior Austin Kelley won a 4-1 decision at 149 pounds.
- The Yellow Jackets, ranked No. 20 in the most recent National Wrestling Coaches Association poll, ended the match by winning five of the final six bouts, including three pins. The lone Olivet win was a 9-3 decision for senior Jesse Judge at 285 pounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. FERRUM
- The teams split the first two bouts, with junior Jared Brickley picking-up the Comets' win, a 9-3 decision at 133 pounds.
- Blackwell put Olivet ahead 9-6 with another pin, this one with 14 seconds left in the opening period.
- Kelley got an escape point and scored a two-point takedown late in the third period to win 6-3 for a 12-3 Comet lead.
- The Panthers, ranked No. 23 in the NWCA poll, seized a 15-12 lead with an 11-5 decision at 157 pounds, pin at 165 pounds and 9-4 decision at 174 pounds.
- Olivet took the lead back, 18-15, when senior Rodney Harvey pinned his opponent at the 2:25 mark (35 seconds remaining in the first period).
- The Comets extended their advantage to six points, 21-15, after senior Kyle Carter pulled away late in the 197-pound bout to win 9-3.
- Ferrum closed out the match with a 2-1 decision victory at 285 pounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. SIMPSON
- Olivet raced out to a 22-0 lead behind wins in the first four bouts.
- Senior Michael Schmidt started the match with a 13-3 major decision at 125 pounds.
- Brickley picked-up a forfeit victory at 133 pounds.
- Blackwell continued his dominance by pinning his opponent in two minutes and 35 seconds.
- Kelley kept the winning going by recording his own pin with three seconds left in the second period.
- After a close 2-0 loss at 157 pounds, Jackson had the Comets' third pin in the match, registering the fall in three minutes and 45 seconds of the 165-pound bout.
- Olivet lost the 174-pound bout by a 6-2 score. Harvey got those team points back with an 8-3 decision at 184 pounds.
- The Storm won the final two bouts by virtue of a pin at 197 pounds and a technical fall at 285 pounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. MOUNT UNION
- The Comets took a 7-0 lead behind a 10-1 major decision for Schmidt and 10-3 decision for Brickley.
- The Purple Raiders answered with a 4-0 decision at 141 pounds.
- Kelley improved to 4-0 on the day with a 14-5 major decision to put Olivet ahead 11-3.
- Mount Union responded with its own major decision to make the score 11-7.
- The Comets closed the match with five straight victories.
- At 165 pounds, senior Ross Pennock scored eight of his 14 points in the final period to win a 14-7 decision.
- Jackson had a first-period pin (1:08).
- Harvey shutout his opponent, 8-0, for a major decision and push Olivet's lead back to four points, 18-13.
- Carter claimed a 6-4 decision.
- Judge capped the match with a three minute and 39 second pin.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- Blackwell had an eight-match win streak snapped with his loss against Mount Union. Of the eight wins, the last seven were by fall, with the final five coming in the first period. He currently had a 10-4 record this season.
- Kelley had a 4-0 record to improve to 8-3.
- Harvey wrestled at 184 pounds for the first time this season, while Carter was competing at 197 pounds for the first time in 2016-17.
- The Comets will compete at the 2017 National Wrestling Coaches Association Multi-Divisional National Duals. The two-day event takes place Jan. 5-6 at the War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Indiana.