OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's soccer team lost to 2-1 to Kalamazoo College on Senior Day at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. Despite the loss, the Comets still control their own destiny for seeding in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Tournament.
Final Score: Kalamazoo 2, Olivet 1
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Kalamazoo 11-8-1 overall, 10-5-1 MIAA; Olivet 12-6 overall, 10-5 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Hornets took a 1-0 halftime behind a goal by Josie Sibley in the 41st minute.
- Kalamazoo doubled its lead to 2-0 on a goal by Libby Munoz in the 65th minute.
- The Comets cut the deficit in half in the 79th minute. Off a free kick by junior Emma Essen, senior Miranda Quick sent her shot into the goal.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the game with a 14-8 advantage in total shots.
- Essen and senior Isabelle Leon led the way with four shots apiece.
- Freshman Samantha Gifford played all 90 minutes in goal and made four saves.
FOR THE HORNETS
- Munoz tallied four of the eight Kalamazoo shots.
- Maddie Odom collected nine saves in goal.
- Olivet ends the regular season portion of its schedule Monday when it hosts Calvin College at 4 p.m. A win would give the No. 2 seed to the Comets in the MIAA Tournament, while a loss would make them the No. 3 or 4 seed.