ADRIAN, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team suffered a five-set loss to Adrian College this afternoon at the Merillat Center in Adrian. The Comets won the first two sets before the Bulldogs won the next three sets to pull out the come-from-behind win.
Final Score: Adrian def. Olivet 23-25, 18-25, 25-12, 25-21, 15-9
Location: Merillat Center; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Olivet 6-20 overall, 2-11 MIAA; Adrian 6-19 overall, 5-9 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Early in the first set, neither team led by more than two points. After an 8-8 tie, the Bulldogs went on a 7-0 run to go up 15-8. After falling behind by an 18-10, sophomore Rose Kemmerling stepped to the service line and help he Comets score nine straight points to take a 19-18-lead. The teams traded points to cause three ties at 19-19, 20-20 and 21-21. Olivet scored two straight points before Adrian scored the next two points for a 23-23 deadlock. A Bulldog attack error and a kill by senior Allison Turner provided the winning set points for the Comets.
- Following a 2-2 tie in the second set, Olivet put nine of the next 10 points on the scoreboard to go up 11-3. The Bulldogs closed the gap to two points, 14-12, but they would not get any closer for the rest of the set.
- Besides a 1-0 deficit, Adrian never trailed in the third set.
- The Bulldogs led by a 6-2 score in the fourth set. The Comets scored five straight points to go up 7-6. Olivet led 9-7 before Adrian went on a 5-0 run for a 12-9 lead. The Comets fought back to level the score at 13-13. The Bulldogs regained a four-point cushion, 18-14. Olivet answered with another 4-0 run to tie the set at 18-18. Adrian scored the next point and did not trail for the rest of the set.
- The Bulldogs were spotted a 3-0 lead in the fifth set. The Comets battled back to even the score at 4-4. Adrian scored seven of the next eight points to go up, 11-5. Olivet was only able to get as close as five points for the remainder of the set.
FOR THE COMETS
- Sophomores Morgan Champion and Brittney Prince each had 14 kills.
- Prince also had five blocks (two solo and three assisted).
- Senior Courtney Cronkright was next with 12 kills.
- Sophomore Madelyn Notenbaum dished out 25 set assists.
- Sophomore Gabrielle Mundt was one of four players to reach double figures in digs, as she had a team-best 25.
- Cronkright finished with 15 digs, while Notenbaum and freshman Morgan Schneider had 13 apiece.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Madison Federmeyer recorded a team-best 11 kills.
- Jessica Bubacz had a match-best 26 assists.
- Olivia Welch tallied a match-high 26 digs.
- Olivet hosts Saint Mary's (Ind.) College Tuesday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m.