OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team defeated Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Adrian College in four sets this morning at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet def. Adrian 25-12, 25-23, 22-25, 27-25
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 12-10 overall, 2-3 MIAA; Adrian 9-9 overall, 2-2 MIAA
- The Comets scored the first eight points of the first set and never looked back. Olivet's largest lead in the set was 15 points on two occasions, 23-8 and 24-9.
- The Bulldogs led 6-5 in the second set before the Comets went on a 6-0 run to go up 11-6. Olivet maintained its lead until Adrian used a 5-0 run to turn an 18-13 deficit into an 18-18 tie. The teams traded points to create one more tied score, 19-19. The Comets went on a 3-0 run to take a 22-19 lead but Adrian answered with its own 3-0 spurt to level the score. Following another tied score at 23-23, Olivet scored the final two points to win the set.
- The third set was close as neither team led by more than three points throughout the entire set.
- The Comets built an 8-4 advantage in the fourth set. Adrian responded with four consecutive points to even the score. The teams traded 2-0 runs to cause tied scores at 10-10, 12-12 and 14-14. The Bulldogs then went ahead by three points, 19-16 and 20-17. Olivet tied the set at 20-20. Adrian answered with a 4-0 run to go up 24-20. Junior Gabrielle Mundt stepped to the service line to help the Comets put five straight points on the scoreboard. The Bulldogs leveled the score at 25-25 before Adrian errors on an attack and a set attempt handed the set and match to the Comets.
- Olivet posted a .161 attack percentage compared to a .091 percentage for the Bulldogs.
- Junior Brittney Prince tied for the third-most kills in a four-set match in school history with 24.
- Junior Morgan Champion and sophomore Laken Groll added eight and six kills, respectively.
- Champion served five aces.
- Junior Madelyn Notenbaum dished out 35 set assists.
- Freshman Drue Mullin collected a match-high 27 digs, while Mundt had 26 digs.
- Alex Tobler tallied a team-high 18 kills.
- Liz Susitko recorded 40 set assists.
- Olivia Welch had 25 digs.
- Olivet is now idle until Tuesday, Oct. 16, when it plays at Alma College. First serve is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. inside the Art Smith Arena in Alma.