FREELAND, Mich. – Ten Olivet College athletic teams have received the 2017-18 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Team GPA award. The award is presented annually to the conference teams who have a 3.30 or higher cumulative grade point average for the entire academic year.
Nine of Olivet's 11 women's sports earned the honor. The women's soccer team led the way with a 3.824 GPA, which ranks first of all 92 MIAA teams honored. The women's cross country team was next with a 3.652 GPA, followed by women's golf at 3.547. The women's outdoor track & field team finished at 3.478, while the women's indoor track & field team had a 3.452 GPA.
The women's volleyball team posted a 3.366 GPA, followed by women's swimming & diving, 3.360; women's tennis, 3.323; and women's basketball, 3.308. The only men's team to receive the award was swimming & diving with a 3.434 GPA.
- The MIAA Team GPA award is in its 20th year of existence. The women's golf team has received the award 14 times, including 11 straight.
- The women's swimming & diving team is on the list for the 13th time in 2017-18.
- The women's soccer team's GPA is the highest in school history for not just the soccer team but for any team.
- The women's tennis team is receiving the award for the eighth consecutive year.
- The 10 teams honored this year is tied for the second-most in school history for an academic year. The most teams in one year was 2015-16 when 11 teams were honored, and 10 teams were also honored in 2013-14.
NUMBER OF YEARS RECEIVING THE MIAA TEAM GPA AWARD
- Women's golf – 14
- Women's swimming & diving – 13
- Women's basketball – 11
- Women's tennis – 11
- Women's (outdoor) track & field – 11
- Women's cross country – 9
- Softball – 9