Baseball team loses 13-inning marathon game to Plattsburgh State, 10-7
AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Olivet College baseball team lost a 13-inning marathon game to State University of New York at Plattsburgh, 10-7, this afternoon at the Lake Myrtle Sports Park in Auburndale, Florida.
Final Scores: Plattsburgh State 10, Olivet 7
Location: Lake Myrtle Sports Park; Auburndale, Fla.
Records: Olivet 1-9 overall, Plattsburgh State 3-4 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cardinals took a 5-0 lead with a run in the second, three runs in the third and one run in the fifth.
- Olivet scored its first run in the bottom half of the fifth on a sacrifice fly by freshman Aaron Gillespie to score junior Kevin Hatcher.
- The Comets closed their deficit to a single run with three runs in the sixth inning. The big hit of the inning was a two-run single by senior Austin Cleaver.
- Plattsburgh got one run back in the seventh.
- In the eighth inning, Olivet tied the game with a pair of runs. Freshman Alex Parthum drew a bases-loaded walk to score the first run, and junior Aiden Holliday hit an RBI-single to bring home the second run.
- The Cardinals grabbed the lead back, 7-7, with a run in the ninth.
- The Comets scored a run in the home half of the ninth to force extra innings. Gillespie's hit drove in the tying run and the winning run was tagged out at the plate.
- There was no scoring in the first four extra innings.
- Plattsburgh pushed across three runs in the visitor's half of the 13th.
- Olivet brought the tying run to the plate in the bottom half of the inning but two strikeouts ended the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Cleaver was on base four times. He walked twice and hit a double and single, while driving in a pair of runs.
- Holliday went 3-for-7 with two singles and a double.
- Sophomore Travis Petts collected three hits.
- Junior Colton Dawdy and freshman Matt Rehfeldt each had two hits.
- Hatcher scored a team-best three runs.
- On the mound, senior Brady Johnson was tagged with the loss. He gave up just one earned run on seven hits over the final five innings.
FOR THE CARDINALS
- T.J. Montalbano was 4-for-7 with two runs and an RBI.
- Kentaro Mori and Alex Follmer had three hits apiece.
- Noah Clark crossed the plate four times.
- Six pitchers combined to throw the 13 innings.
- Alec Fauvell earned the win after tossing two hitless innings of relief.
- Matt Fox picked-up the save after striking out the side in the 13th.
- Olivet concludes its Spring Break trip to the Sunshine State with a doubleheader against Utica (N.Y.) College tomorrow morning, starting at 9 a.m.