LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Olivet College baseball team could not hold onto a 6-2 lead, as Aurora (Ill.) University scored seven unanswered runs to beat the Comets, 9-6, at the second day of the Derby City Classic. Spalding (Ky.) University served as the tournament host and the game was played at Derby City Field in Louisville, Kentucky.
Final Score: Aurora 9, Olivet 6
Location: Derby City Field; Louisville, Ky.
Records: Aurora 2-1 overall, Olivet 1-2 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the Spartans scored a run in the top half of the second inning, the Comets answered with four runs in their half of the inning. With the bases loaded, freshman Logan Sella drew a walk to bring in the first run. Freshman Logan Wheeler lined a single into left field to score a run and then the outfielder misplayed the ball to allow two more runs across the plate.
- Aurora got one run back in the third inning on a bases-loaded walk. Olivet responded with a pair of runs in the bottom half of the inning on back-to-back RBI-doubles by freshmen Dugan Dieselberg and Junior Gomez.
- The Spartans tallied three runs in the fourth and one run in the fifth inning to tie the game, and two more runs in the sixth inning to take an 8-6 lead. Aurora tacked-on its final run in the ninth inning.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet recorded 11 total hits, with 7-of-9 starting position players having at least one hit apiece.
- Dieselberg along with freshman Ben Compton and sophomore Aaron Gillespie each had two hits.
- Dieslberg scored two runs.
- Five pitchers combined to throw all nine innings. Freshman Ryan Rivard got the start and lasted three and two-thirds innings, allowing five runs on seven hits. Freshman Domanic Smith tossed one and one-third innings, yielding a run on one hit. Senior Zach Oshinsky threw two innings and gave up what proved to be the winning runs to be charged with the loss.
- Freshman Alex Curry also surrendered a run over two and one-third innings. Senior Joseph Crosby registered the final two outs.
FOR THE SPARTANS
- Jett Wetekind went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
- Austin Wiskow also had three hits.
- Cole Davis collected four RBI.
- Nicholas Mathey earned the pitching win. He gave up one hit, struck out six and walked nobody in three innings.
- Olivet is back in action next Wednesday, March 7, when it plays a doubleheader against Anderson (Ind.) University. First pitch from Grand Pak in Westfield, Indiana, is scheduled for 4 p.m.