OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team was swept by Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Adrian College this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex. The Bulldogs won the opener, which took two days to play, 6-1, and then took the nightcap, 10-2.
Final Scores: Adrian 6, Olivet 1; Adrian 10, Olivet 2
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Adrian 17-4 overall, 11-1 MIAA; Olivet 6-16 overall, 2-10 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE)
- Yesterday, the Bulldogs took a 2-0 lead on a two-run homer in the first inning.
- The game was suspended with two runners on base and one out in the top of fourth inning due to snow.
- After the game resumed this afternoon, Adrian scored one run in the fourth, one run in the sixth and two runs in the seventh to take a 6-0 lead.
- The Comets took advantage of two Bulldog errors to plate an unearned run in the bottom half of the seventh inning.
FOR THE COMETS
- Junior Jake Robinson and freshman Logan Sella had the only hits for Olivet. Sella's hit was a double.
- Sophomore Riley Bennett scored the run.
- Sophomore Aaron Gillespie threw the three and one-third innings yesterday. He gave up three runs on two hits.
- Senior Joseph Crosby completed the game in relief, allowing three runs on five hits.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Hunter Hayes was 2-for-3 with two runs and two RBI.
- Chad Paddock also collected two RBI.
- Jordan Williams went the distance on the mound to earn the win. He struck out nine and walked two batters.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO)
- The Bulldogs scored three runs in the second inning.
- Olivet cut its deficit to one with a two-run fourth inning. Two walks and a base hit by Gillespie loaded the bases with nobody out. Junior Dugan Dieselberg lined a single into left field to score the first run and re-load the bases. Bennett hit into a fielder's choice to plate the second run.
- Adrian ended the game by scoring seven unanswered runs – four in the fifth, two in the sixth and one in the ninth.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet was held to four hits, all singles by Dieselberg, Gillespie, freshman Ben Compton and senior Connor Murney.
- Senior Aiden Holliday suffered the pitching loss after yielding seven runs on nine hits over four and one-third innings.
- Three relievers finished the game on the mound. The most effective reliever was senior Zach Oshinsky who surrendered only one hit in two and one-third innings.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Hitting out of the nine spot in the lineup, Gunner Rainey was 3-for-3 with three RBI.
- Tristin Richardson and Brady Wood both went 2-for-4 with two runs.
- Zack Zchering also had two hits.
- Jason Schroeder picked-up the pitching after scattering two runs on three hits over six innings.
- Mo Hanley and Daniel McMichael combined to three scoreless innings of relief.
- Olivet faces Trine (Ind.) University for four games this weekend. The Comets play a doubleheader at Trine's Jannen Field Saturday afternoon, and the final two games in Olivet Sunday afternoon. Both doubleheaders start at 1 p.m.