ADA, Ohio – The Olivet College baseball team lost a 13-2 non-conference game to Ohio Northern University (ONU) this afternoon at Wander Field in Ada, Ohio.
Final Scores: Ohio Northern 13, Olivet 2
Location: Wander Field; Ada, Ohio
Records: Ohio Northern 27-11 overall, Olivet 10-25 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Polar Bears jumped out to a 6-0 lead after scoring three runs in both the first and second innings.
- The Comets scored their first run in the third inning after freshman Logan Sella reached on an error, stole second base and crossed the plate on freshman Ben Compton's double.
- ONU got that run back in the fourth inning before exploding for six runs in the fifth inning to take a 13-1 lead.
- Olivet pushed across its last run in the eighth inning. Sella walked. Sophomore Dillon Mitchell came into the game as a pinch runner and came around to score on freshman Brandan Settles' double.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished with five hits, including a 2-for-4 performance by Compton.
- The other hits were by Settles, freshman Bruce Allen and senior Colton Dawdy.
- Freshman Spencer Naffziger was charged with the pitching loss. He started on the mound and lasted two innings, giving up six runs (three earned) on seven hits.
- Four relievers allowed seven runs on six hits.
FOR THE POLAR BEARS
- Batting out of the leadoff spot in the lineup, Luke Klinehoffer went 3-for-5 with two runs and two RBI.
- Phil Buckingham had two hits, two runs and two RBI.
- Brandon Kasberg tallied a pair of doubles, three runs and two RBI.
- Austin Frey earned the pitching win after yielding an unearned run on four hits over five innings.
- James Fisher and Tommy Fleser each threw two innings of relief.
- The Comets travel to play Bluffton (Ohio) University Friday afternoon at 4 p.m.