KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team dropped a pair of Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) contests to Kalamazoo College, 9-0 and 14-7, today at Woodworth Field in Kalamazoo.
Final Scores: Kalamazoo 9, Olivet 0; Kalamazoo 14, Olivet 7
Location: Woodworth Field; Kalamazoo, Mich.
Records: Kalamazoo 18-19 overall, 15-11 MIAA; Olivet 10-28 overall, 6-20 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE)
- The Hornets scored two runs in the first inning, one run in the third, five runs in the fourth and one run in the fifth for their 9-0 shutout victory.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the game with eight hits, all singles.
- Sophomore Riley Bennett and freshman Logan Sella each had two hits.
- Freshman Ryan Rivard started on the mound. He lasted three and one-third innings, allowing six earned runs on four hits to be marked with the loss.
- Four relief pitchers joined together to throw the final two and two-innings, giving up three runs on six hits.
FOR THE HORNETS
- Ryan Orr struck out 12 and did not walk a batter over six and two-thirds innings to improve to 8-1 this season.
- Orr also helped his cause at the plate, going 3-for-4 with two runs and three RBI.
- Connor Grant had one hit but drove in four runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO)
- The Comets used back-to-back doubles and a sacrifice fly to score two runs in the top half of the first inning.
- Kalamazoo answered with three runs in the second and five runs in the third inning to go up 8-2.
- Olivet got two runs back in the visitor's half of the fifth inning. Freshman Ben Compton led off the inning with a solo home run and later in the inning, Dieselberg walked and came around to score on freshman Junior Gomez's RBI-double.
- The Hornets responded by scoring five runs in their half of the fifth inning.
- Both teams scored a run in the sixth inning.
- The Comets capped the game's scoring by plating two runs in the ninth inning.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet tallied 12 hits in the game.
- Bennett was 3-for-4 with two doubles, two runs and two RBI.
- Gomez and junior Jake Robinson each notched two hits, including a double.
- Other extra base hits were a double by senior Connor Murney and triple by freshman Brandan Settles.
- On the mound, senior Zach Oshinsky was tagged with the loss after surrendering six runs on four hits over the first two innings.
- Five relievers completed the game on the mound. One was senior Joseph Crosby who has now tied Olivet's single-season record with his 21st appearance.
FOR THE HORNETS
- Batting leadoff, Jordan Wiley collected three hits and four RBI.
- Orr, Alex Fultz and Todd Bonnivier also had three hits apiece.
- Joe Giacalone was the winning pitcher. He gave up four runs on seven hits over the first five innings.
- The Comets and Hornets will conclude their 2018 season tomorrow with a doubleheader at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. Between games of the doubleheader, Olivet will recognize its five seniors.