DANVILLE, Ky. – The Olivet College baseball team fell to Dominican (Ill.) University, 9-5, this afternoon in a neutral-site contest at Gary Wright Field in Danville, Kentucky.
Final Score: Dominican 9, Olivet 5
Location: Gary Wright Field; Danville, Ky.
Records: Olivet 0-3 overall, Dominican 2-1 overall
- The Comets took a 1-0 lead with a run in the first inning after sophomore Brandan Settles walked, advanced to second on a ground out and came around to score on a double by junior Riley Bennett.
- Olivet added two more runs in the third inning. Freshman Matt Hewitt led off with a triple and crossed the plate on an error by the second baseman. Settles singled, went to second on a sacrifice bunt and hustled around the bases to score on Bennett's single.
- The Stars plate one run in the home half of the third, two runs in the sixth and three runs in the seventh to go ahead 6-3.
- The Comets closed the gap to a single run in the eighth inning after senior Dugan Dieselberg hit a two-run home run.
- Dominican ended its scoring by pushing across three runs in the bottom half of the eighth inning.
- At the plate, Bennett was 3-for-5 with two singles, a double and two RBI.
- Settles and sophomore Logan Sella each had two hits.
- Sophomore Max Daust started on the mound and gave up three runs on four hits over six innings.
- Senior Zach Oshinsky was charged with the loss after both batters he faced walked and came around to score in the seventh inning.
- Three relief pitchers combined to get the final six outs, throwing two-thirds of an inning each.
- Sam Bjorklund finished 3-for-5, with three singles and two RBI.
- Brandon Diedrich had two hits, including a double, and two RBI.
- Tyler Kara earned the pitching in win of relief of starter Bryant Bagshaw. Kara tossed the first six innings and allowed three runs on seven hits over six innings. Kara threw an inning and two-thirds, yielding two runs on two hits.
- Austin Michals picked-up the save after giving up one hit and walk in the final inning and one-third.
- Olivet heads to Ohio Saturday and Sunday, March 2-3, for games at Wright State University. The Comets face Carleton (Minn.) College Saturday and University of Pittsburgh Bradford (Pa.) Sunday. Both games start at 3:30 p.m.