AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Olivet College baseball team fell to Fontbonne (Mo.) University, 9-5, in its first game at the RussMatt Invitational and inside the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale, Florida.
Final Score: Fontbonne 9, Olivet 5
Location: Lake Myrtle Sports Complex; Auburndale, Fla.
Records: Olivet 0-4 overall, Fontbonne 10-0 overall
- The Griffins took a 7-0 lead after scoring three runs in the second inning, and two runs in both the third and fourth innings.
- The Comets dented the scoreboard for the first time in the bottom half of the fourth inning when junior Ben Compton blasted a two-run home run.
- Olivet added another run in the fifth inning.
- Fontbonne plated a run in the top half of the eighth inning. Junior Aaron Gillespie got that run back in the home half of the eighth when he hit a leadoff home run.
- Both teams scored a run in the ninth inning.
- At the plate, Compton was 2-for-4 with a triple and home run.
- Gillespie and freshman Dyre Leonard each had two hits.
- Junior Tim Sines was tagged with the pitching loss after surrendering seven runs (four earned) on eight hits over the first four innings.
- Freshman Zach Ostrowski tossed two scoreless innings of relief.
- Jonathan Hoevelmann was 4-for-5 with four singles and two runs.
- Braeden Dobbs collected three hits.
- Gus Purschke had two hits, two runs and two RBI.
- Jake Jump earned the pitching win after throwing the first five innings after yielding three runs on three hits.
- Two relievers combined to throw the final four innings and give up two runs on five hits.
- After a day off tomorrow, Olivet plays Colby-Sawyer (N.H.) College Monday morning at 10:30 a.m. The game will also played at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex.