AUBURNDALE, Fla. – Sophomore Max Daust threw eight strong innings in leading the Olivet College baseball team to a 19-1 victory over Colby-Sawyer (N.H.) College this morning at the RussMatt Invitational and played at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale, Florida.
Final Score: Olivet 19, Colby-Sawyer 1
Location: Lake Myrtle Sports Complex; Auburndale, Fla.
Records: Olivet 1-4 overall, Colby-Sawyer 0-5 overall
- The Comets scored two runs in the second inning and three runs in the third to take a 5-0 lead.
- The Chargers plated their only run in the bottom half of the third inning.
- Olivet added four more runs in the sixth inning.
- The Comets' offense then sent 15 batters to the plate and scored 10 runs in the top half of the ninth inning.
- Daust earned the pitching win after throwing 102 pitches. He gave up the one run on seven hits, while walking two and striking out five.
- Senior Travis Petts recorded the final three outs.
- The offense tallied 18 hits, with two doubles, four triples and 12 singles. Eight of the nine starters recorded at least one hit.
- Junior Riley Bennett reached base safely in each of his first five plate appearances. He was a home run shy of hitting for the cycle, as he had a single in the third inning, triple in the fourth and double in the sixth. In his other at-bats, Bennett was hit by a pitch in the first inning and walked in the ninth.
- Junior leadoff hitter Brandan Settles had two hits, drove in three runs and scored two runs.
- Also tallying two hits were senior Jake Robinson, sophomore Ben Compton, and freshmen Matt Hewitt and freshman Dayton Regier.
- Hewitt and Regier each drove in three runs.
- Robinson also scored three runs.
- The defense was also superb, as the Comets turned three double plays and recorded an out on a "pickle" play.
- From the leadoff spot in the lineup, Tim Unczur notched three of the team's seven hits.
- Six pitchers combined to throw the nine innings.
- Joe Scurto was the losing pitchers after allowing the first five runs on four hits over two innings.
- The 19 runs scored ties for the sixth-most in school history for a game in school history.
- In five games this season, the Comets have six triples. The single-season team record for triples is 13 in 2017.
- The Comets play a doubleheader against Husson (Maine) University tomorrow. First pitch from game one at the Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee is 1:30 p.m.