KISSIMMEE, Fla. – The Olivet College baseball team lost both games of a doubleheader against Husson (Maine) University, 5-2 and 5-3, this afternoon at the RussMatt Invitational and at the Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee, Florida.
Final Score: Husson 5, Olivet 2; Husson 5, Olivet 3
Location: Osceola Heritage Park; Kissimmee, Fla.
Records: Olivet 1-6 overall, Husson 3-4 overall
- After the Eagles scored a run in the top half of the first inning, the Comets evened the score with a run in the bottom half of the second.
- Husson immediately answered with three runs in its half of the third inning.
- The Eagles added another run in the sixth inning to make the score 5-1.
- Olivet got one back in the home half of the sixth inning.
- In the seventh inning, the Comets brought the tying run to the plate. A diving catch by the left fielder ended the game.
- Olivet recorded eight hits, including two each for juniors Riley Bennett and Brandan Settles, and freshman Dyre Leonard.
- Both of Bennett's hits were doubles.
- Junior Zac Walter made his first start of the season and lasted three and one-third innings, giving up four runs (two earned) on six hits.
- Freshman Brendan Redding finished the game in relief and allowed one run on four hits.
- David LeBlanc was 3-for-4 with two doubles and a single.
- Conor Maguire had two hits and two runs scored from the leadoff spot in the lineup.
- Alex Brooks was credited with the pitching win after giving up two runs (one earned) on eight hits. Nolan Dousa got the final out to pick-up the save.
- The Comets pushed across one run in the third inning and one run in the fifth inning to go up 2-0.
- The Eagles did all of their scoring in the bottom half of the fifth inning.
- Olivet closed the gap to 5-3 with a run in the seventh inning.
- Olivet had eight hits, including two by sophomore Ben Compton.
- The only extra-base hit was a double by sophomore Logan Sella.
- The top three batters in the lineup, Settles, Compton and Leonard, each drove in a run.
- Freshman Hunter Henson took the loss on the mound, as he yielded four runs (three earned) on six hits over the first four innings.
- Freshman Zach Ostrowski and junior Matt Rehfeldt both tossed an inning of relief.
- Husson tallied 10 hits.
- Maguire and Nick Guerrette each went 2-for-4 with a run and RBI.
- Alex Chapman also had two hits.
- Blake Slicer was credited with the pitching win after allowing two runs (one earned) on seven hits over the first six innings. Jacob Gauvin earned the save after pitching the seventh inning.
- Olivet faces Westminster (Pa.) College Wednesday afternoon at 3 p.m. for a single, nine-inning game at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale, Florida.