AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Olivet College baseball team defeated Westminster (Pa.) College, 15-10, this afternoon at the RussMatt Invitational and inside the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale, Florida.
Final Score: Olivet 15, Westminster 10
Location: Lake Myrtle Sports Complex; Auburndale, Fla.
Records: Olivet 2-6 overall, Westminster 2-3 overall
- The Comets used eight hits to push across seven runs in the top half of the first inning.
- The Titans answered with two runs in the bottom half of the first and six runs in the third inning to take an 8-7 lead.
- Olivet responded with eight runs, two in the fifth, four in the sixth and two in the seventh, to take the lead back 15-8.
- Westminster added single tallies in the seventh and ninth innings for the final 15-10 score.
- Olivet recorded 19 hits in the game.
- From the leadoff spot in the lineup, junior Brandan Settles went 4-for-6 with three runs and two RBI.
- Junior Aaron Gillespie had three hits and scored twice.
- Junior Riley Bennett also collected three hits to go along with three RBI and four stolen bases.
- Freshman Matt Hewitt hit two doubles and a triple as well as driving in three runs and scoring three runs.
- Senior Dugan Dieselberg had two hits and scored two runs.
- Sophomore Seamus Mitchell tallied two hits and two RBI.
- Freshman Jake Buchs started on the mound but did not factor in the pitching decision. He gave up six runs (four earned) on five hits over two and two-thirds innings.
- Junior Matt Rehfeldt tossed four and one-third innings of relief to earn the win. He yielded just one run on two hits, with three strikeouts.
- Hunter Alexander, Tyler Barnot and Frank Cinicola finished the game with two hits apiece.
- Barnot had the only extra base hit, a double.
- Dante Parente was charged with the pitching loss. He allowed the first nine runs on 13 hits over five innings.
- Olivet is off on Thursday and returns to the field Friday against Knox (Ill.) College. The game at Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee gets under way at 2:30 p.m.