KISSIMMEE, Fla. – The Olivet College baseball team fell to Knox (Ill.) College, 9-6, this afternoon at the Osceola County Heritage Stadium in Kissimmee, Florida.
Final Score: Knox 9, Olivet 6
Location: Osceola County Heritage Stadium; Kissimmee, Fla.
Records: Olivet 2-7 overall, Knox 1-4 overall
- The Comets took a 3-0 lead in the second inning when junior Aaron Gillespie blasted a three-run home run.
- The Prairie Fire scored seven runs between the fourth and seventh innings to go up 7-3.
- Olivet got one run back in the bottom of eighth inning. Freshman Matt Hewitt hit a leadoff triple and came around to score on sophomore Bruce Allen's sacrifice fly.
- Knox plated two unearned runs in the top of ninth inning.
- The Comets scored three runs and left the bases loaded in their half of the ninth.
- Olivet out-hit Knox, 11-9.
- Gillespie, freshman Dyre Leonard and junior Brandan Settles each had two hits from the top three spots in the lineup.
- Junior Tim Sines suffered the pitching loss. He gave up four runs (three earned) on three hits over five innings.
- Juston Woodard went 3-for-5 at the plate.
- Dalton James and Andrew Kirchmeier each recorded two hits.
- On the mound, EJ Roncone earned the win. He allowed one earned run on three hits over four and one-third innings.
- Stryker Davies picked-up the save after tossing the final inning and one-third.
- Olivet concludes play in the Sunshine State tomorrow against Clarkson (N.Y.) University at the Chain of Lakes Stadium in Winter Haven. First pitch is at 2 p.m.