WINTER HAVEN, Fla. – The Olivet College baseball team ended its Spring Break trip with a close 8-7 loss to Clarkson (N.Y.) University today at Chain of Lakes Stadium in Winter Haven, Florida.
Final Score: Clarkson 8, Olivet 7
Location: Chain of Lakes Stadium; Winter Haven, Fla.
Records: Olivet 2-8 overall, Clarkson 2-3 overall
- The Comets pushed across three runs, including a pair on a two-run single by senior Dugan Dieselberg, in the first inning.
- The Golden Knights got one run back in the bottom half of the first.
- Olivet extended its lead to 5-1 with two runs in the second inning.
- Clarkson scored three runs in the third and four runs in the sixth to take an 8-5 lead.
- The Comets plated two runs in the seventh inning to close the gap to 8-7.
- Olivet had the bases loaded in both the eighth and ninth innings but failed to score any runs.
- Olivet finished the game with 11 hits.
- Dieselberg was 3-for-5 with two RBI.
- Junior Brandan Settles had two hits.
- Freshman Hayden Zimmerman also recorded two hits.
- Freshman Brendan Redding suffered the pitching loss in relief of sophomore starter Max Daust.
- Eight of nine starters had at least one hit.
- Tommy Bianchi went 3-for-5 with three runs scored.
- Vincent Granuzzo, Brad Pearson and Michael Tito collected two hits apiece.
- Nolan Duda drove in three runs.
- Mark Connor was the winning pitcher, and Jake Scurrah earned the save.
- Olivet is scheduled to make the trip down to Richmond, Indiana, to play Earlham College next Wednesday, March 20, at 4 p.m.