RICHMOND, Ind. – The Olivet College baseball team started its northern schedule with a 17-7 setback to Earlham (Ind.) College in non-conference action this afternoon at Randal R. Sadler Stadium in Richmond, Indiana.
Final Score: Earlham 17, Olivet 7
Location: Randal R. Stadium; Richmond, Ind.
Records: Olivet 2-9 overall, Earlham 8-6 overall
- The Comets took a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Junior Brandan Settles led off the game with a single, stole second base, went to third on a passed ball and crossed the plate on a fielder's choice off the bat of senior Dugan Dieselberg.
- The Quakers tied the game with a run in the home half of the first before adding two runs in the second inning to go ahead 3-1.
- Olivet got one run back in the top half of the third inning.
- Earlham responded with two runs in its half of the third and then erupted for eight runs in the fourth to go up 13-2.
- Both teams scored a run in the fifth inning before the Comets plated two runs in both the sixth and eighth innings to make the score 14-7.
- The Quakers capped their scoring with a three-run eighth inning.
- Settles went 2-for-4 with a single, triple and three runs scored.
- Freshman Matt Hewitt also had two hits and scored twice.
- Dieselberg finished with three RBI.
- Freshman Brendan Redding suffered the pitching loss after giving up five runs (three earned) on five hits over the first three innings.
- Four relief pitchers combined to allow the final 12 runs (six earned) on eight hits.
- At the plate, Cameron Wissel was 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- Easton Embry was 2-for-2 with two runs and three RBI.
- Marc Gendreau had one hit, walked twice and drove in three runs.
- Colin Greve was credited with the pitching win after tossing five innings and yielding zero earned runs on five hits.
- Olivet starts Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play Saturday when it hosts Albion College for two games. First pitch from game one is slated for 1 p.m.