HOLLAND, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team was swept in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) doubleheader against Hope College, 7-1 and 9-4, this afternoon at Boeve Stadium in Holland.
Final Scores: Hope 7, Olivet 1; Hope 9, Olivet 4
Location: Boeve Stadium; Holland, Mich.
Records: Hope 13-1 overall, 5-1 MIAA; Olivet 3-14 overall, 1-5 MIAA
- Hope took an early 1-0 lead when Jordon Fairchild hit a home run to lead off the bottom of first inning.
- The Flying Dutchmen tacked on five more runs in the fifth inning.
- Both teams scored a run in the sixth inning. Olivet's run was a solo home run by freshman Matt Hewitt.
- Olivet recorded nine hits.
- Sophomores Seamus Mitchell and Logan Sella each went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Junior starting pitcher Tim Sines suffered the loss. He surrendered five runs on four hits in an inning.
- Junior Zac Walter tossed three innings and allowed two runs in five hits.
- Senior Zach Oshinsky threw two scoreless innings.
- Hope tallied 10 hits.
- Trace Slancik was 2-for-4 with three RBI.
- Joey Merucci had two hits and scored two runs.
- Mason Opple also collected two hits.
- Shane Hykin was the winning pitcher after throwing six innings, giving up the one run on eights. He struck out seven and walked one.
- The Comets took a 3-0 lead in the second inning on three consecutive RBI-singles by Hewitt, freshman Dayton Regier and junior Brandan Settles.
- The Flying Dutch got one run back in the home half of the second.
- Hope tied the game at 3-3 in the fifth inning on back-to-back RBI-doubles.
- Olivet took the lead back in the sixth inning. Mitchell hit a double and after the second out was record, Hewitt was intentionally walked to put two runners on base. A balk moved both runners up one base, and Regier lined a single into center field to score Mitchell.
- The Flying Dutchmen pushed across the tying and go-ahead runs in the seventh inning.
- Hope broke the game open with a four-run eighth inning.
- Hewitt was 3-for-3 with three singles.
- Regier had two hits and drove in two runs.
- Mitchell scored two runs.
- Sophomore Max Daust started on the mound but received a no-decision. He allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits over five and two-thirds innings.
- Junior Matt Rehfeldt was charged with the pitching loss after giving two runs on four hits over an inning and one-third.
- Senior Travis Petts yielded the ninth-inning runs on three hits and two walks.
- Lepore, Slancik and Bryant Kym each had two hits.
- Kym, Slancik and Cal Barrett collected two RBI apiece.
- Dane Martin picked-up the pitching win in relief.
- The Comets and Flying Dutchmen complete the four-game series Saturday with two games at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet, starting at 1 p.m.