OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team lost both games of a doubleheader to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Hope College this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. The Flying Dutch won 10-3 and 18-10.
Final Scores: Hope 10, Olivet 3; Hope 18, Olivet 10
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Hope 15-1 overall, 7-1 MIAA; Olivet 3-16 overall, 1-7 MIAA
- The Flying Dutchmen scored four runs in the first and three runs in the second inning.
- The Comets pushed across a run in the third inning when sophomore Logan Sella led off with a bunt single, advanced to second on a wild pitch and came around to score on junior Brandan Settles' RBI-single.
- Hope plated three more runs in the fifth inning to go up 10-1.
- Olivet scored a pair of runs in the seventh inning.
- Olivet was held to just two hits, the two hits in the third inning.
- Freshman Zack Ostrowski was tagged with the pitching loss after allowing four runs (three earned) on three hits and three walks in an inning.
- Junior Zac Walter threw four innings of relief and gave up six runs (three earned) on seven hits.
- Freshman Drew Smith and sophomore Ryan Simono made their collegiate debuts on the mound, and both tossed a scoreless inning.
- Mason Opple was a single shy of hitting for the cycle. He also drove in a team-high five runs.
- Jordon Fairchild went 2-for-4 with two runs.
- Six other players each had a base hit.
- Sean Hoey earned the pitching win after throwing six and two-thirds innings, yielding three runs (two earned) and striking out seven.
- Hope led 8-0 behind two runs in the first and six runs in the second.
- The Comets scored a run in the third. After a hit and two walks loaded the bases, sophomore Riley Bennett's sacrifice fly allowed Settles to cross the dish.
- The Flying Dutchmen broke the game in the fifth inning when they sent 12 batters to the plate and scored seven runs.
- Olivet got one run back in the home half of the fifth. Freshman Matt Hewitt drew a leadoff walk, stole second and scored on senior Jake Robinson's double.
- Hope added another run in the seventh inning before the Comets pushed across its third run in the eighth inning on freshman Trevor Walters' first collegiate RBI.
- The Flying Dutchmen capped their scoring with a pair of runs in the ninth.
- With the sun quickly setting, Olivet had 11 batters come to the plate and seven came around to score in the bottom half of the ninth. The big hit of the inning was a three-run double by Walters.
- Olivet out-hit Hope, 18-17.
- Settles was 3-for-5 with three runs scored.
- Hewitt and Sella also had three hits.
- Walters drove in four runs.
- Freshman Hunter Henson was charged with the pitching loss after surrendering eight runs (four earned) on eight hits over two innings.
- Senior Zach Oshinsky tossed two scoreless innings of relief.
- Four other relievers combined to throw the final five innings and each gave up at least one run.
- Andrew Gilpin was 3-for-6 with three RBI.
- Opple had two more hits, scored two runs and drove in two.
- Nick Lepore recorded two base hits, walked twice, scored twice and drove in four runs.
- Max Gaishin started on the mound but did not get the win since he only threw four innings.
- Dylan Berghorst was credited with the win.
- Sam Balke and Ethan Willett also pitched in relief.
- The Comets return to the field Saturday for a doubleheader at preseason favorite Adrian College. First pitch at Nicolay Field is scheduled for 1 p.m.