ADRIAN, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team fell to defending Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) champion Adrian College in both games of a doubleheader today at Nicolay Field in Adrian. The Bulldogs claimed a pair of shutout wins, 8-0 and 10-0.
Final Scores: Adrian 8, Olivet 0; Adrian 10, Olivet 0
Location: Nicolay Field; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Adrian 14-4 overall, 7-1 MIAA; Olivet 3-18 overall, 1-9 MIAA
- The Bulldogs scored one run in the second, five runs in the third, and capped their scoring with two runs in the fifth inning.
- Olivet was held to three hits.
- Junior Riley Bennett, senior Jake Robinson and freshman Hayden Zimmerman each had a single.
- Sophomore Max Daust suffered the pitching loss, as he allowed all eight runs (seven earned) on seven hits.
- Junior Huston Snyder and sophomore Logan Wheeler had matching pitching lines, one hit in one inning.
- Brady Wood hit two doubles.
- Brandon Cooper also had two hits.
- Korey Mazur scored three runs.
- Pierce Banks picked-up the pitching win after throwing four and one-third innings.
- Jesse Marks and Jason Schroeder threw in relief.
- Each pitcher gave up a base hit.
- Adrian scored nine runs over the first three innings – three in the first, four in the second and two in the third.
- The Bulldogs added their final run in the fifth.
- Making just his second start of the season, freshman Dalton Giddings went 3-for-4 at the plate.
- Bennett had the lone extra-base hit, a double in the first inning.
- Junior Zac Walter made the start on the mound, and allowed seven runs on eight hits over two innings to be charged with the loss.
- Freshman Zack Ostrowski gave up two runs in an inning of relief.
- Senior Travis Petts did not yield a hit but surrendered a run over two innings.
- Freshman Brendan Redding tossed three scoreless innings.
- From the leadoff spot in the lineup, Zack Zschering was 2-for-3 with three runs.
- Mazur, Thomas Miller and Gunner Rainey each collected two hits.
- Mazur had three RBI.
- Miller, Rainey and Wood drove in two runs apiece.
- Maxwell Denny was the winning pitcher after throwing five innings and striking out seven in the first five innings.
- Three relievers combined to allow three hits over the final four innings.
- The Comets and Bulldogs wrap-up the series tomorrow with two games at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. First pitch is at 11 a.m. Note, the start time has been moved up due to the chance of rain in the afternoon.