OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team was on losing end of a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) doubleheader against Adrian College today at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. The Bulldogs won 12-1 and 22-4.
Final Scores: Adrian 12, Olivet 4; Adrian 22, Olivet 4
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Adrian 16-4 overall, 9-1 MIAA; Olivet 3-20 overall, 1-11 MIAA
- The Bulldogs cruised to the victory after scoring two runs in the first, three runs in the third, four runs in the fourth and three runs in the fifth.
- Junior Riley Bennett broke-up the no-hitter with a single to lead off the sixth inning. Sophomore Seamus Mitchell spoiled the shutout by lining a single to bring home Bennett from second base.
- Olivet finished the game with just four hits, singles by Bennett, Mitchell, senior Jake Robinson and freshman Matt Hewitt.
- Sophomore Ryan Rivard took the loss on the mound, as he gave up five runs on four hits in an inning and two-thirds.
- Junior Tim Sines tossed the final five and one-third innings and allowed seven runs (five earned) on six hits.
- Gunner Rainey was 2-for-3 with three RBI.
- Zach Zschering also went 2-for-3 with a double, two RBI and three runs.
- Thomas Miller had two hits and scored two runs.
- Brandon Cooper hit a two-run home run.
- Mo Hanley was the winning pitcher after yielding the run on three hits over five innings. He struck out eight and walked three.
- Two relief pitchers each threw an inning.
- The Bulldogs scored at least one run in each of the first seven innings – three in the first, two in the second, six in the third, four in the fourth, one in the fifth, three in sixth and one in the seventh – to take a 20-0 lead.
- The Comets got on the scoreboard in the bottom half of the seventh inning. With the bases loaded, freshman Jake Czimadia walked to score Mitchell. Hewitt then walked to bring home sophomore Jake Allen. Bennett hit a sacrifice fly to score freshman Dayton Regier with the third run.
- Adrian ended its scoring with a two-run homer in the top of the ninth.
- Olivet pushed across its final run in its half of the ninth.
- Bennett had two of the five Olivet hits.
- Mitchell also tallied two hits.
- Senior Zach Oshinsky suffered the pitching loss after surrendering nine runs on nine hits in the first two innings.
- Four relief pitchers finished the game, and each allowed at least one run.
- Miller was a perfect 6-for-6 at the plate, with a double and two home runs. He scored four runs and drove in seven runs.
- Brady Wood collected three hits, three runs and three RBI in five plate appearances.
- On the mound, Jordan Williams earned the win. He allowed one hit and struck out five in four innings.
- Five relief pitchers tossed an inning apiece.
- The Comets take a break from MIAA play Tuesday when they host Bluffton (Ohio) University for a nine-inning, non-conference game. First pitch is at 4 p.m.