OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team split a home doubleheader against Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Trine (Ind.) University this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. Behind a complete game pitching performance from sophomore Max Daust, the Comets won the first game 5-3. Trine rallied to win the nightcap, 2-1.
Final Scores: Olivet 5, Trine 2; Trine 2, Olivet 1
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Trine 11-15 overall, 4-10 MIAA; Olivet 4-22 overall, 2-12 MIAA
- The Comets pushed across four runs in the second inning. Senior Dugan Dieselberg had a leadoff single, advanced to third on senior Jake Robinson's double and scored on a groundout. Freshman Jake Allen was hit by a pitch to put runners on the corners. Allen stole second base. Freshman Hayden Zimmerman singled through the right-side of the infield to score Robinson and advanced Allen to third base. Freshman Dayton Regier laid down the perfect squeeze bunt to score Allen. After a strikeout, junior Riley Bennett lined a single into left-center field to score Zimmerman.
- The Thunder took advantage of an Olivet error to score two runs in the top half of the third inning.
- The Comets got one run back in the home half of the third. Dieselberg hit a double, went to third on a groundout and crossed the plate on a wild pitch.
- Trine brought the tying run to the plate with nobody out in the fifth inning, but failed to score any runs.
- On the mound, Daust allowed two unearned runs on eight hits. He struck out six and walked two batters.
- At the plate, Dieselberg was 2-for-3 and scored two runs.
- Jacob Heller had two of the eight Trine hits.
- Six other players each had one hit apiece.
- Bryce Bloode was the losing pitcher after yielding four earned runs on five hits over two innings.
- Two relief pitchers combined to give up one run on three hits over the final four innings.
- Olivet took a 1-0 lead with a run in the first inning. Bennett reached on an infield bunt single, stole second and scored on sophomore Logan Sella's single into the right-center field gap.
- There was no more scoring until the top of the sixth when Trine scored an unearned run to tie the score at 1-1.
- The Thunder plated another unearned run in the seventh inning to take a 2-1 lead.
- Bennett and Sella each had two hits. One of Sella's hits was a double.
- Junior Tim Sines was charged with the pitching loss despite allowing two unearned runs on five hits over the first seven innings.
- Senior Travis Petts gave up one hit in two innings of relief.
- Cale Hall went 3-for-4 at the plate.
- Nick Ricci collected two hits in four at-bats.
- Drew Bradford earned the pitching win, as he yielded one earned run on seven hits over the first six and one-third innings.
- Caleb Deiter threw the ninth inning to pick-up the save.
- Weather permitting, the teams will conclude the series tomorrow with a doubleheader at Jannen Field in Angola, Indiana, starting at 1 p.m.