ANGOLA, Ind. – The Olivet College baseball team suffered losses in both game of a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) twinbill against Trine (Ind.) University today at Jannen Field in Angola, Indiana. The Thunder won 9-0 and 10-7.
Final Scores: Trine 9, Olivet 0; Trine 10, Olivet 7
Location: Jannen Field; Angola, Ind.
Records: Trine 13-15 overall, 6-10 MIAA; Olivet 4-24 overall, 2-14 MIAA
- The Thunder scored four runs in the first and second innings.
- The Comets did not have a runner reach third base until the fourth inning.
- Trine capped the scoring with a single tally in the sixth inning.
- Olivet was held to five hits, including two apiece for senior Dugan Dieselberg and freshman Matt Hewitt.
- One of Dieselberg's hits was the Comets' only extra-base hit, a double to lead off the second inning.
- Junior Matt Rehfeldt made his first collegiate start on the mound, lasting an inning and two-thirds to be charged with the loss. He gave up eight runs (five earned) on five hits.
- Senior Zach Oshinsky threw the final four and one-third innings, allowing a run on five hits.
- Eight of nine starters recorded a base hit.
- Nick Ricci went 2-for-4 with a double and five RBI.
- Thomas Rivet had two hits and scored two runs.
- Joe Fiorucci drove in two runs.
- Adam Wheaton went the distance on the mound to improve to 3-2 on the season. He struck out 12 and walked two batters.
- Olivet scored a run in the visitor's half of the first inning. Hewitt walked, advanced to second on a wild pitch, went to third on junior Riley Bennett's single and crossed the plate on sophomore Logan Sella's groundout.
- Trine immediately answered with two runs in the home half of the first.
- The Thunder plated two more runs in the fourth inning.
- The Comets got one run back in the fifth inning. Bennett led off with a double, advanced to third on a fly and scored on Dieselberg's single.
- Trine broke the game open in the sixth inning when it sent 10 batters to the plate and scored six runs.
- Olivet used a five-run eighth inning to close the gap to three runs at 10-7.
- Bennett registered three of the 13 Olivet hits and scored two runs.
- Sella, sophomore Seamus Mitchell and freshman Jake Csizmadia each had two hits.
- Bennett and Sella had two RBI apiece.
- On the mound, freshman Brendan Redding started and threw five innings. He surrendered four runs on six hits, and was tagged with the loss.
- Four relief pitchers combined to throw the final three innings.
- At the plate, Chase Hall was 3-for-4 with two runs and two RBI.
- Jacob Heller had two hits, including a double, and three RBI.
- Rivet collected two hits, scored twice and drove in two runs.
- Shawn Ligocki logged five innings on the mound to earn his first win of the season.
- Caleb Deiter pitched the ninth inning for his fourth save of the season.
- The Comets face Alma College in their next four-game MIAA series. The first two games will be played Friday at Klenk Park in Alma, starting at 2 p.m. The final two games will be played Saturday night at Nicolay Field in Adrian, beginning at approximately 7:30 p.m.