GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team lost both games of a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) doubleheader to Calvin College, 2-1 and 7-3, this afternoon at the Calvin Baseball Field in Grand Rapids.
Final Score: Calvin 2, Olivet 1; Calvin 7, Olivet 3
Location: Calvin Baseball Field; Grand Rapids, Mich.
Records: Calvin 13-19 overall, 9-13 MIAA; Olivet 4-26 overall, 2-16 MIAA
- The Comets took a 1-0 lead in the fourth inning.
- The Knights tied the game with an unearned run in the home half of the fourth inning.
- In the top of sixth, Olivet had the go-ahead run thrown out at the plate and left two runners stranded in scoring position.
- Calvin used a two-out rally to score to winning run in the last part of the sixth inning.
- Olivet was retired 1-2-3 in the seventh inning.
- Olivet finished with seven hits.
- Senior Jake Robinson and sophomore Seamus Mitchell each had two hits.
- On the mound, sophomore Max Daust was the tough-luck loser, as he gave up one earned run on six hits over five and two-thirds innings. Senior Travis Petts recorded the final out in the sixth inning.
- Ryan Petersen and Matt Raymond tallied two hits apiece. One of Petersen's hits was a double.
- Trevor VanDuyn threw a complete game to earn the pitching win. He struck out seven batters.
- Calvin grabbed a 1-0 lead with a run in the second inning.
- The Comets evened the score in the third inning when junior Riley Bennett blasted a solo home run over the fence in right field.
- The Knights responded with a three-run third inning to take the lead back, 4-1.
- Olivet plated two runs in the sixth inning to cut its deficit down to one run.
- Calvin capped its scoring with single runs in sixth, seventh and eighth innings.
- Olivet out-hit the Knights, 10-8.
- Hewitt was 3-for-4 with a double and run.
- Junior Brandan Settles also had two hits, including a double, and drove in a run.
- Senior Dugan Dieselberg finished with two singles.
- On the mound, junior Tim Sines suffered the loss, as he allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits over three innings.
- Five relief pitchers combined to throw the final five innings. Petts struck out four batters.
- Ryan Pena was 3-for-3 with a triple and two singles. He also walked twice and drove in three runs.
- Five other players had one hit apiece.
- Mark Primus picked-up the pitching win after throwing the first five and two-thirds innings. He yielded three runs (two earned) on 10 hits, while striking out eight and walking one.
- Weather permitting, the Comets and Knights will finish the four-game series tomorrow with a doubleheader at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet, starting at 12 p.m.