OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College baseball team split a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) doubleheader against Calvin College today at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. The Knights won the first game, 8-1. The Comets came back to win the nightcap, 3-2, on a walk-off single by sophomore Seamus Mitchell in the 11th inning.
Final Score: Calvin 8, Olivet 1; Olivet 3, Calvin 2 (11)
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Calvin 14-20 overall, 10-14 MIAA; Olivet 5-27 overall, 3-17 MIAA
- The Knights plated one run in the second, five runs in the third and two runs in the fifth to take an 8-0 lead.
- The Comets scored their only run in the sixth inning. Junior Brandan Settles hit a double, advanced to third on a wild pitch and came around to score on sophomore Logan Sella's single.
- Olivet had five hits, including two each for Settles and Sella.
- Freshman Brendan Ridding was charged with the pitching loss, as he yielded eight runs (five earned) on eight hits over six innings. Sophomore Spencer Naffziger threw a hitless seventh inning.
- Logan Marshall was 2-for-3 with two RBI.
- Andrew Hung also had two hits.
- Clay Francisco tossed the complete game, five-hitter to be the winning pitcher. He struck out 10 and walked one.
- The Comets loaded the bases in the fourth inning. Freshman Jake Csizmadea was hit by a pitch to bring in the first run, and Settles walked to score the second run.
- The Knights tied the game, using a ground out and a two-out single to push across two runs in the top half of the ninth inning.
- Olivet loaded the bases with only one out in the home half of the ninth. A fielder's choice out at the plate, and a fly out ended the inning.
- Calvin left the go-ahead run stranded in both the 10th and 11th innings.
- In the Comets' half of the 11th, senior Robinson hit a single down the left-field line. After a strikeout for the second out, Robinson scampered to second base on a wild pitch. Mitchell then poked the ball into shallow right-center field, and Robinson hustled around the bases to score the winning run.
- Olivet totaled 11 hits.
- Mitchell was 3-for-6.
- Robinson had two hits and scored two runs.
- Junior Zac Walter threw 10 and one-third innings but did not factor in the decision. He struck out nine and did not walk a batter.
- Junior Matt Rehfeldt retired the two batters he faced in the 11th inning to earn the win.
- Calvin totaled 10 hits.
- Hung and Beau Redfield each had two hits.
- Seven pitchers made an appearance on the mound. Justin Pauwee tossed the final two and one-third innings to be charged with the loss.
- Olivet faces Alma College in a rescheduled four-game series. The teams play a doubleheader Monday at Klenk Field in Alma, and a doubleheader Tuesday at the Cutler Athletic Complex. Both twinbills start at 2 p.m.