KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Olivet College football team rolled up 468 yards of offense and the defense scored two touchdowns in a 40-6 win over Kalamazoo College this afternoon at Angell Field in Kalamazoo.
Final score: Olivet 40, Kalamazoo 6
Location: Angell Field; Kalamazoo, Mich.
Records: Olivet 3-2 overall, 1-1 MIAA; Kalamazoo 0-5 overall, 0-2 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets led only 7-3 at halftime. The Hornets scored their three points on a 31-yard field goal by Greg Kearns with 6:35 left in the opening quarter. Olivet scored their points on a fumble recovery by senior Chase Cavric in the end zone with 10:00 remaining in the second quarter.
- The Comets found the end zone in each of their first three drives of the third quarter.
- Junior Lane Porter threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to freshman Matthew Ellis at the 13:31 mark to make the score 13-3.
- Porter then connected with junior Jacob Jodway for a 75-yard touchdown pass with 8:28 left in the quarter.
- The last touchdown came with 5:27 left when Porter tossed a five-yard pass to senior Kornelius Saxton.
- Kearns made the score 27-6 at the end of the third quarter when he nailed a 29-yard field goal.
- Senior Jerome Washington capped an 11-play drive with a two-yard touchdown run with 12:25 remaining in the game.
- On the Hornets' first play from scrimmage, senior Robert Cuba stripped the ball from quarterback Alex White. Senior Tyler Douglas scooped up the ball and returned it 15 yards for the final touchdown.
FOR THE COMETS
- Porter completed 23-of-32 passes for 361 yards.
- Saxton was the top receiver with 10 catches for 166 yards.
- Jodway caught four passes for 106 yards.
- Washington led the ground game with 12 carries for 37 yards.
- Defensively, Cavric and senior Walter Love III each had seven tackles.
- Senior Javon Walker intercepted two passes.
- Cuba had five tackles, including two for negative 14 yards.
FOR THE HORNETS
- Kalamazoo totaled 263 yards, 160 through the air and 103 on the ground.
- Jared Pittman topped the rushing attack with 10 carries for 62 yards.
- Three quarterbacks combined to throw for the 160 yards on 17-of-36 passing.
- Zak Zagon had a team-leading 45 receiving yards, while Seth Dexter hauled in a team-best four passes for 41 yards.
- Quentin Sweeney led all players with 11 tackles.
- Matt Ford registered eight tackles, including seven solo stops.
- Olivet hosts Albion College Saturday, Oct. 14, at 1 p.m.