TIFFIN, Ohio – The Olivet College football team allowed two fourth quarter touchdowns to lose a heartbreaker to Heidelberg (Ohio) University, 21-17, tonight under the lights at Hoernemann Field in Tiffin, Ohio.
Final score: Heidelberg 21, Olivet 17
Location: Hoernemann Field; Tiffin, Ohio
Records: Olivet 0-1, Heidelberg 1-0
- The Student Princes used a nine-play, 86-yard drive to take a 7-0 lead at the 5:39 mark of the opening quarter.
- The Comets evened the score with 19 seconds left in the first quarter. Senior Lane Porter capped six-play, 76-yard drive with a 13-yard touchdown pass to senior tight end Chris Talbott.
- Olivet led 14-7 at halftime when senior Jamaul Martin rushed into the end zone from 16 yards out with 4:13 remaining in the second quarter. Junior Douglas Pollard made the PAT kick.
- Neither team scored on its first possession of the second half.
- Pollard converted a 33-yard field goal at the 5:27 mark of the third quarter to stretch the Comets' lead to 17-7.
- Olivet punted the ball back to Heidelberg with 6:20 left in the game. On the Student Princes' fourth play from scrimmage, Trace Reynolds scampered 44 yards for the touchdown at the 5:26 mark.
- Heidelberg's defense forced another three-and-out for the Comet offense. This time, Reynolds used his arm to throw the go-ahead touchdown, a 17-yard pass Braden Jerome with 1:11 remaining in the game.
- Olivet got the ball back but were unable to move the ball past its own 26-yard line and turned the ball over on downs with three seconds left.
- Olivet totaled 379 yards of offense, 148 on the ground and 231 through the air.
- Sophomore Matthew Ellis had 19 carries for 105 yards. Martin finished with 59 rushing yards on 15 carries.
- Porter completed 15-of-30 passes for the 231 yards.
- Senior Jacob Jodway caught three passes for 104 yards.
- Defensively, senior Chase Cavric had a team-leading 10 tackles, including 1.5 quarterback sacks and six solo stops.
- Senior Mo Young and junior Tyler Mojet each tallied seven total tackles.
- Sophomore John Adams III intercepted two passes.
- Heidelberg had 377 yards of offense, 199 on the ground and 178 in the air.
- Reynolds accounted for 337 yards. He had 17 carries for 159 yards and was 14-of-25 passing for the 178 yards.
- Jerome hauled in five passes for 101 yards and two touchdowns.
- Zach Blackiston topped the defense with 15 tackles, including 5.5 for negative 27 yards.
- Collin Pecoraro had nine stops.
- Olivet welcomes Concordia University-Chicago (Ill.) to the Cutler Athletic Complex for its home-opener next Saturday, Sept. 8. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.