LISLE, Ill. – The Olivet College football team scored five offensive touchdowns and a special teams touchdown to defeat Benedictine (Ill.) University, 42-16, today at the Village of Lisle-Benedictine University Sports Complex in Lisle, Illinois.
Final score: Olivet 42, Benedictine 16
Location: Village of Lisle-Benedictine University Sports Complex; Lisle, Ill.
Records: Olivet 2-1 overall, Benedictine 0-3 overall
- Both teams went three-and-out on their first two drives of the game.
- The Comets got on the scoreboard for the first time when sophomore Matthew Ellis capped an eight-play, 80-yard drive with a three-yard touchdown run.
- The Eagles punted for a third time and Olivet took over at its 36-yard line. On the sixth play of the drive, senior Jamaul Martin rushed 31 yards into the end zone.
- Another BenU punt set-up the Comets on their 40. Olivet needed just four plays to score another touchdown when senior Lane Porter completed a five-yard pass to senior tight end Chris Talbott with 13:10 remaining in the second quarter.
- Senior Brandon Mitchell recovered a fumble at the Eagle 22. Ellis ran into the end zone from a yard out, and junior Douglas Pollard made his fourth PAT of the game to put Olivet ahead 28-0.
- In the first half, the Comets had 263 yards of offense, including 195 on the ground.
- The Eagles took the second-half kickoff and marched down the field. BenU had to settle for a 24-yard field goal by Milan Dezelich.
- Olivet freshman punter Tyrain Connor pinned the Eagles at their 1-yard line. BenU threw three incomplete passes. Senior Nick Thomas blocked the Eagles' punt and recovered the ball in the end zone for a touchdown.
- Junior Noah McMinn crossed the goal line for his first collegiate touchdown with 4:11 left in the third quarter.
- BenU scored the final two touchdowns of the game.
- Olivet totaled 369 yards of offense – 258 rushing and 111 passing.
- Martin had 12 carries for 121 yards.
- Ellis rushed 13 times for 109 yards and two touchdowns.
- McMinn finished with 50 rushing yards on 11 touches.
- Porter completed 9-of-13 passes for his 111 yards.
- Thomas was the leading receiver with three catches for 54 yards.
- Seniors Chase Cavric and Jacob Jordan, and sophomore Thomas Kusterer each recorded nine total tackles.
- Junior Tyler Mojet tallied eight tackles, including two for minus seven yards.
- BenU ended the game with 305 yards, with 261 yards coming in the second half.
- Grant Klaver threw for 225 yards on 31-of-58 passing.
- Brandon Adams hauled in nine passes for 83 yards.
- Alex Mitchell caught eight passes for 69 yards.
- Joshua Williams had 24 carries for 83 yards.
- Olivet is off until Sept. 29 when it celebrates Homecoming and opens Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play against Finlandia University. Kickoff from the Cutler Athletic Complex is 2 p.m.