OLIVET, Mich. – Senior Jamaul Martin rushed for 196 yards to help the Olivet College football team come back to beat Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) co-leader Kalamazoo College, 21-17, today at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final score: Olivet 21, Kalamazoo 17
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 5-3 overall, 3-2 MIAA; Kalamazoo 7-1 overall, 4-1 MIAA
- Both teams had to punt on their first time with the ball.
- Martin capped a nine-play, 80-yard drive with a 22-yard run into the end zone. Junior Douglas Pollard made the PAT kick to make the score 7-0 at the 3:16 mark of the opening quarter.
- The Hornets scored a touchdown on last two drives of the second quarter to take a 14-7 lead at halftime.
- Kalamazoo got the ball to start the third quarter. On the third play of the drive, senior Brian Freiberger intercepted a Zach VanFaussien pass at the Hornet 38-yard line.
- Olivet tied the game at 14-14 when senior Lane Porter tossed a 4-yard touchdown pass to senior Nick Thomas on a fourth and goal play.
- The Hornets took the lead back 17-14 after Greg Kearns nailed a 39-yard field goal with 3:10 remaining in the third quarter.
- The Comets were forced to punt on their next drive. On the punt, a Kalamazoo player was called for a roughing the kicker penalty. Ten plays later, Martin rumbled into the end zone from two yards out. Pollard nailed the PAT kick, and Olivet led 21-17 with 11:40 left in the fourth quarter.
- The Hornets had to punt the ball back to the Comets with 9:08 remaining in the game.
- Olivet was able to get six first downs and move the ball 81 yards to run out the clock.
- Olivet finished the game with 319 yards, 236 on the ground and 83 through the air.
- Martin needed 22 carries to gain his 196 yards.
- Sophomore Matthew Ellis had 11 rushes for 54 yards.
- Porter completed 12-of-14 passes for the 83 yards.
- Thomas and senior Jacob Jodway each had four receptions for 32 and 26 yards, respectively.
- Anthony Merriman topped the defense with seven tackles, including six solo stops.
- Kalamazoo totaled 212 yards, including only 13 on the ground.
- VanFaussien was 17-of-31 for 199 yards and two touchdowns, with two interceptions.
- Anthony Giovanni hauled in eight passes for 68 yards and two touchdowns.
- Jake Sypniewski recorded a game-high 14 tackles.
- Jake Osen had 13 tackles, with 10 solo stops.
- Olivet welcomes the Alma College Scots to the Cutler Athletic Complex next Saturday, Nov. 3, for a 1 p.m. game.