ANGOLA, Ind. – The Olivet College football team stayed perfect on the season with a 34-17 win over Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Trine (Ind.) University this afternoon at Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium in Angola, Indiana.
Final score: Olivet 34, Trine (Ind.) 17
Location: Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium; Angola, Indiana
Records: Olivet 6-0 overall, 3-0 MIAA; Trine 3-3 overall, 0-3 MIAA
- The Comets took advantage of a Thunder fumble, which was recovered by junior Jeylin Rogers, to score their first touchdown. Taking over at the Trine 45, and on the third play of the drive, freshman quarterback Kaleb Jarrett threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to sophomore tight end Seth Young.
- The Thunder answered with a touchdown on their ensuing drive.
- Olivet regained the lead on its next possession. Senior Noah McMinn rumbled three yards into the end zone with 1:19 left in the opening quarter. On the play before the touchdown run, freshman Teondre' Patterson caught a 49-yard pass down to the Trine 3.
- The Thunder trimmed their deficit to 14-10 early in the second quarter on a 41-yard field goal by Lucas Garza.
- Trine had a chance to make the score 14-13 but Garza missed a 38-yard field goal wide left.
- The Comets over at their own 21-yard line. Olivet marched down the field and called a timeout with three seconds left until halftime and the ball on the Trine 13-yard line. Instead of attempting a field goal, Head Coach Dan Musielewicz put the offensive unit on the field. The move paid off as Jarrett tossed a 13-yard touchdown pass to freshman Jalen Broussard. Sophomore Tyler Peck's PAT kick was good, and Olivet led 21-10 at halftime.
- The Thunder made the score 21-17 at the 13:10 mark of the third stanza when Alex Price threw a 23-yard touchdown pass to Adam Gutting.
- The Comets responded with an 11-play, 65-yard scoring drive. McMinn capped the drive with a one-yard plunge into the end zone. The PAT kick was good and Olivet led 28-17 with 6:18 remaining in the third quarter.
- The teams traded punts over the next three series.
- The Comets got the ball back with 11:58 left in the game. Olivet was able to take nearly nine minutes off the clock with a 14-play drive. Jarrett rushed the final 10 yards for a touchdown to make the score 34-17.
- Trine marched down the field before senior Miguel Manion stripped the ball from the quarterback, and senior Kolby Williams fell on the ball for the fumble recovery. A kneel-down for Olivet ended the game.
- Olivet totaled 433 yards of offense compared to 323 for Trine.
- McMinn had 23 carries for 157 yards and two touchdowns.
- Freshman Christian Rogers rushed 14 times for 68 yards.
- Jarrett threw for 194 yards on 12-of-21 passing.
- Broussard hauled in four passes for 57 yards.
- Williams and senior Coleton Swims topped the defense with nine tackles each.
- Sophomore Andrew Campbell had six total tackles.
- Price completed 15-of-24 passes for 184 yards. He also had 17 carries for 83 yards.
- Jacob Chesney caught five passes for 48 yards.
- Ivan Upshaw led the defense with 12 tackles.
- The Comets host Hope College next Saturday, Oct. 26. Kick-off at the Cutler Athletic Complex is scheduled for 1 p.m.