BEXLEY, Ohio – The Olivet College men's basketball team fell to Capital (Ohio) University, 83-43, this evening in its season-opener at the Capital Center in Bexley, Ohio.
Final Score: Capital 83, Olivet 43
Location: Capital Center; Bexley, Ohio
Records: Capital 1-0 overall, Olivet 0-1 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Olivet scored the first basket of the game.
- The Crusaders grabbed a 5-2 lead on a jump shot and three-point basket.
- Capital did not trail for the rest of the first half and led by as many as 24 points, 35-11, at the 3:48 mark.
- The Comets closed the gap to 20 points before settling for a 22-point deficit, 40-18, at halftime.
- In the first half, the Crusaders shot 53.3 percent (16-of-30) compared to 25 percent (8-of-32) for Olivet.
- Capital extended its lead to 44 points twice in the second half, with the last time being 77-33 with 3:14 remaining in the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- For the game, Olivet shot 26.6 percent (17-of-64) from the floor and 62.5 percent (5-of-8) from the free throw line.
- Sophomore Kyle Emory was the lone Comet to reach double figures in the scoring column, as he had 11 points.
- Senior Zach Walker was next with six points.
- Junior Matt Subject grabbed a team-best four rebounds.
- Playing in his first basketball game at Olivet, junior Jordan Terry dished out three assists.
FOR THE CRUSADERS
- Capital made 33-of-58 (56.9 percent) baskets, including 7-of-20 shooting from behind the arc, and 10-of-15 (66.7 percent) free throws.
- Joey Weingartner led all scorers with 20 points on 8-of-17 shooting, with four three-pointers.
- Ganiyu Yahaya came off the bench to score 13 points.
- Tyler Jackson posted a game-high seven rebounds and four assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's game marked the coaching debut for Olivet interim head coach Steve Ernst.
- Olivet travels to Kenosha, Wis., this Friday and Saturday for the Carthage College Classic. The Comets will play the host Big Red Friday night at 8 p.m. EST, and Robert Morris University-Peoria (Ill.) Saturday evening at 5 p.m. EST.