OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team shot a sizzling 60.7 percent (17-of-28 ) behind the arc to beat Heidelberg (Ohio) University, 97-79, in its home-opener this afternoon at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 97, Heidelberg 79
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 2-2, Heidelberg 2-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets made four of their first five shot attempts, including all three from downtown, to jump out to an 11-6 lead at the 17:53 mark.
- Olivet kept the hot shooting, as it went on a 29-3 run over the next nine minutes and 11 seconds to take a 40-9 lead.
- Heidelberg reached double figures in the scoring column, 40-11, at the 7:54 mark.
- Senior Aaron Washington responded with his sixth three-pointer of the half to give the Comets their largest lead of the game, 43-11.
- The Student Princes cut their deficit down to 18 points twice late in the first half but each time Olivet answered with a three-pointer. The last one was by Washington to make the score 54-33 at the break.
- In the first half, the Comets made 20-of-35 field goals (57.1 percent), including 13-of-20 (65 percent) from downtown. Washington was near perfect, as he made 9-of-10 baskets, with 7-of-8 from behind the arc.
- Heidelberg fought back in the second half to trim its deficit down to 13 points, 72-59, at the 10:56 mark.
- Olivet went on a 9-0 run over the next two minutes to extend its lead to 22 points, 81-59.
- The Student Princes had one final push and closed to within 14 points, 91-77, before the Comets outscored them 6-2 in the final two minutes and 50 seconds.
FOR THE COMETS
- For the game, Olivet shot 54.0 percent (34-of-63) and 60.0 percent (12-of-20) from the free throw line.
- Washington scored 32 points on 12-of-19 shooting, including 8-of-11 from three-point land.
- Senior Eric Ewing added 25 points, while grabbing 15 rebounds.
- Senior Chris Chrzan finished with 20 points.
- Junior P.J. Trammell came off the bench to score 11, including 9-of-13 from the charity stripe.
- Senior R.J. Haas led all players with 16 rebounds and four blocks.
- Senior Zach Walker dished out seven of Olivet's 26 assists.
FOR THE STUDENT PRINCES
- Heidelberg had 34 baskets, with 10 three-pointers, and one free throw for its 79 points.
- Kiere Bennie tallied a team-best 23 points.
- Myron Prewitt contributed 14 points.
- Mike Mason had 13 points.
- Bennie, Mason and Prewitt each had six rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The last time Olivet scored more than 95 points in back-to-back games was Dec. 11 and Dec. 12, 2013.
- The 17 made three-pointers is the most in a game in school history since Jan. 14, 2004, when the Comets made 18 against then Tri-State (Ind.) University.
- The 60.7 shooting from three-point range is the best percentage since Dec. 10, 2011, when Olivet shot 61.1 percent against Spring Arbor University.
- Washington's eight made three-pointers ties the single-game school record.
Olivet hosts Earlham (Ind.) College tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m.