HOLLAND, Mich. – Senior Eric Ewing scored a game-high 24 points to lead the Olivet College men's basketball team to a 79-78 win over Johnson & Wales (R.I.) University this evening at the DeVos Fieldhouse in Holland. The game was a part of the Russ DeVette/Holland Sentinel Classic.
Final Score: Olivet 79, Johnson & Wales 78
Location: DeVos Fieldhouse; Holland, Mich.
Records: Olivet 3-6 overall, Johnson & Wales 2-6 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Wildcats led by three points, 11-8, at the 16:14 mark of the first half.
- The Comets countered with a 10-1 run to go up by six points, 18-12, with 12:44 left before halftime.
- Johnson & Wales came back answered with back-to-back three-pointers to tie the game at 18-18 at the 11:06 mark.
- Over the next 10 minutes of game time, there would be four lead changes and five tied scores.
- After the last tie at 40-40, Olivet scored two straight baskets in an 11-second span to take a 44-40 lead.
- The Wildcats drained their 10th basket from long range right before the halftime buzzer to make the score 44-41 at the break.
- The Comets gained the first double digit lead for either team when they led by 10 points, 56-46, with 13:51 remaining in the second half.
- Olivet extended its lead to as many as 14 points, 66-52, at the 10:46 mark.
- Johnson & Wales came back with an 11-0 run to trim its deficit to three points, 66-63.
- The Comets quickly pushed their lead back to double figures twice, with the last time being 76-65 at the 4:49 mark.
- The Wildcats closed the gap to one point, 79-78, with 35.7 seconds left.
- Olivet turned the ball over with 5.6 seconds showing on the clock but Johnson & Wales failed to get a shot off.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet shot 39.3 percent (24-of-61) from the floor but were nearly perfect, 88.0 percent (22-of-25) from the free throw line.
- Ewing made nine baskets, including a pair from three-point range, and four free throws for his 24 points.
- Seniors Chris Chrzan and R.J. Haas, and sophomore Thomas Tsalkitzis all scored 15 points.
- Haas also grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds for his first double-double of the season.
FOR THE WILDCATS
- Johnson & Wales made 29 field goals, including 13 from behind the arc, and 7-of-15 (46.7 percent) from the charity stripe.
- Jarell Lawson led the Wildcats with 18 points and nine rebounds.
- Demani Spence contributed 17 points.
- Matt Madoian had 14 points and four assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Tonight's game was the first-ever meeting between the Comets and Wildcats on the basketball court.
- Olivet plays Spalding (Ky.) University tomorrow in the second day of the tournament. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.